Old 02-05-2003, 10:20 PM
JNJ

Default Clover in grass

In some parts of my grass I have clover. I heard that it is
because of lack of nitrogen. Can I use bone meal or something with high
nitrogen content to control clover? Otherwise my lawn is extremely good.

Clover will grow where there is a lack of nitrogen but that is irrelevant.
More important is the fact that it is a nitrogen fixer -- i.e., it brings
nitrogen into the soil which is something your grass of course requires.
Clover and grass get along with each other very well and having a measure of
clover in your lawn is healthy -- even desirable.

James

Old 03-05-2003, 03:44 PM
JNJ

What to do about an excess of clover ? I have one area of a lawn where the
clover is taking over from the grass.

I can't imagine having an excess of clover.

Test the pH of the area to determine if it is unfriendly to grass. If it
is, adjust the pH.

If you REALLY want to get rid of the clover, you can weed wack it to the
ground and reseed to increase the grass population (won't get rid of it, but
should help to balance it out), dig the area out completely, use chemicals
(I do NOT like recommending chemicals) or get a pet rabbit and let 'im loose
in the yard every few days.

James

Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Alan Illeman wrote:

...What to do about an excess of clover ? I have one area of a lawn where the
clover is taking over from the grass...

There's nothing wrong with clover as a lawn. It's green. You can walk on
it. It benefits the soil and the surrounding grass.

Having said that, there are several types of clover. I'm assuming you
have the low growing form, "Dutch white" clover, which has fairly small
leaves and white flowers occasionally. It's fairly common in lawns.
Forage clovers are much taller with larger leaves and are good pasture
for animals (at least the herbivores). They are not as pleasant in
lawns, since they're much taller and a bit gangly looking.

I suspect that the main objection to clover is the white flowers
breaking up the green expanse (although I view them as an added bonus).
A secondary objection is that the flowers attract bees, which may sting
bare feet that tread on them unawares. (Foraging bees are not aggressive
and will not sting unless they are threatened without a way of escape).

Other than those two caveats, clover is a fine addition to any lawn.