Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Equivalents to Photinia Fraseria?

I am building a garden hedge, and I am considering using Photinia Fraseria.
Are there similar hedges that have the interesting color variations in the
leaves, as well as occasional flowers?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/2/12 1:16 PM, W wrote:
I am building a garden hedge, and I am considering using Photinia Fraseria.
Are there similar hedges that have the interesting color variations in the
leaves, as well as occasional flowers?

Consider some variety of Raphiolepis. New foliage is pink, eventually
turning green. In the spring, the plants can be covered with white or
pink flowers. There are dwarf varieties of R. indica; on the other hand
R. 'Majestic Beauty' can grow quite large.

I found that Photinia fraseri grows too vigorously, requiring constant
trimming. I trim my R. indica about once every 3-5 years.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

[IMG] code is On

Photinia replacement??? Jay Gardening 5 08-09-2004 07:36 PM
Photinia Pruning Curtis Texas 12 13-03-2004 12:56 AM
Substitutes for Red Tip Photinia Shepherd Gardening 4 02-04-2003 07:44 AM
Photinia 'Red Robin' question Martin C United Kingdom 2 13-02-2003 11:09 PM