Old 11-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Curtis

Default Photinia Pruning

I planted red tipped photinias around the perimeter of my back yard 20
years ago as a privacy screen. They have done well and are very bushy
from chest high and higher but the bottom 3-4 feet of each plant is
bare trunks now and no longer provide much privacy. I'm considering
sawing one of the trunks of each plant a few inches above the ground.
Will new branches sprout and bush out?

--
Curtis
Old 12-03-2004, 02:32 AM
jOhN

Curtis wrote:
I planted red tipped photinias around the perimeter of my back yard 20
years ago as a privacy screen. They have done well and are very bushy
from chest high and higher but the bottom 3-4 feet of each plant is
bare trunks now and no longer provide much privacy. I'm considering
sawing one of the trunks of each plant a few inches above the ground.
Will new branches sprout and bush out?

I've seen it happen at my next door neighbors. My own photinias are full
to the ground because I made sure the sun could get down to ground level
on both sides by trimming with a bit of taper bottom to top. / \
Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 AM
cat daddy

"Curtis" wrote in message
s.com...
I planted red tipped photinias around the perimeter of my back yard 20
years ago as a privacy screen. They have done well and are very bushy
from chest high and higher but the bottom 3-4 feet of each plant is
bare trunks now and no longer provide much privacy. I'm considering
sawing one of the trunks of each plant a few inches above the ground.
Will new branches sprout and bush out?

Probably. However, I did that about three years ago for the same reasons,
and three of the six have never recovered. They have yellowed leaves and
look burnt. I understand there's a virus that attacks red tips (which are
not native, despite their proliferation here).
The sick ones are just now putting out new growth. If the new leaves
wither, I'll be digging them out.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Babberney

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:16:40 GMT, Curtis wrote:

I planted red tipped photinias around the perimeter of my back yard 20
years ago as a privacy screen. They have done well and are very bushy
from chest high and higher but the bottom 3-4 feet of each plant is
bare trunks now and no longer provide much privacy. I'm considering
sawing one of the trunks of each plant a few inches above the ground.
Will new branches sprout and bush out?

--
Curtis

The problems with red-tips are well documented, but if you're not
ready to yank them out yet you can probably restore them to a screen
without such drastic measures.

Most plants put all their growth into the dominant buds at the tips of
branches. If you remove that tip, the latent buds farther down the
branch will be stimulated and make for a bushier form. Cut the low
tips off, cut the top down a foot or two, and make the high branches
shorter than the low ones (i.e., taper to the top as was already
mentioned). This should get some new growth started in the lower
branches. It will take some time to go from where you are to a
well-balanced hedge, but probably no more than if you lop them off
near the ground, and the plants will weather this treatment far
better.

good luck,

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 13-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Curtis

Thanks all for the tips. I have a plan now.

--
Curtis
Old 13-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Curtis

Thanks all for the tips. I have a plan now.

--
Curtis

Photinia pruning Bill Grey United Kingdom 18 13-06-2010 08:40 PM
Photinia replacement??? Jay Gardening 5 08-09-2004 07:36 PM
Photinia "Red Robin" - need advice! Debbie Gardening 7 26-03-2004 01:23 PM
Substitutes for Red Tip Photinia Shepherd Gardening 4 02-04-2003 07:44 AM
Photinia 'Red Robin' question Martin C United Kingdom 2 13-02-2003 11:09 PM