Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ahhhh!

first flowers today. some of the
purple crocus showed up. usually the
yellow ones are first.

temps went from 14F the other night to
24F two nights ago, last night was in
the 40sF and now today is above 60F.

very windy, but it was so nice out we
grabbed some of the wood that the power
line clearing crew left behind and then
we cleaned up a row of purple bearded
iris.

so nice to be back outside puttering,
even if this is only a temporary break
in the cold.

songbird
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

first flowers today. some of the
purple crocus showed up. usually the
yellow ones are first.

temps went from 14F the other night to
24F two nights ago, last night was in
the 40sF and now today is above 60F.

very windy, but it was so nice out we
grabbed some of the wood that the power
line clearing crew left behind and then
we cleaned up a row of purple bearded
iris.

so nice to be back outside puttering,
even if this is only a temporary break
in the cold.

songbird

My favorite weather guy Madman says winter is essentiality over.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/7/12 2:59 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

first flowers today. some of the
purple crocus showed up. usually the
yellow ones are first.

temps went from 14F the other night to
24F two nights ago, last night was in
the 40sF and now today is above 60F.

very windy, but it was so nice out we
grabbed some of the wood that the power
line clearing crew left behind and then
we cleaned up a row of purple bearded
iris.

so nice to be back outside puttering,
even if this is only a temporary break
in the cold.

songbird

My favorite weather guy Madman says winter is essentiality over.

Was there a winter? By this date last year (starting at the beginning
of November), we had 436 hours of winter chill (hours at or below 45F)
in my community. This year, we have had 220 hours. Even my mild-winter
peach tree is likely to suffer; it requires 300 hours.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/7/2012 3:35 PM, songbird wrote:
first flowers today. some of the
purple crocus showed up. usually the
yellow ones are first.

temps went from 14F the other night to
24F two nights ago, last night was in
the 40sF and now today is above 60F.

very windy, but it was so nice out we
grabbed some of the wood that the power
line clearing crew left behind and then
we cleaned up a row of purple bearded
iris.

so nice to be back outside puttering,
even if this is only a temporary break
in the cold.

songbird

You are running very late by my weather clock. The weather was so mild this
Winter (should this even been called Winter?) that my Crocus and Daffodils
have been done blooming for two weeks now and the giant hybrid Hyacinths
are finishing up. The bed of blue Anemone Blanda surrounding the three
standing stones are blooming nicely now. The tulips are just up a bit but
they are old bulbs in a bad location so that isn't a good indicator. For
some reason of the three straw yellow Chrysanthemums in front of the
standing stones it looks as though one hasn't made it through to Spring --
at least it has no leaves while the other two do. For some reason one of
the three seems to die every year but it surely can't have been a winter kill.

The English Bluebells are well up and I had to rush in today to saw and
clear some large logs from trees that were taken down a few months ago
because they were sitting right on the area where the Bluebells were
popping up. (Much firewood to be moved and stacked but that can wait now
that the area is clear) The oddest part is that I had Periwinkle blooming
for most of the winter and when I saw a blue flower on that at Christmas I
knew that the end times must be upon us.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Bill who putters writes:

My favorite weather guy Madman says winter is essentiality over.

It certainly feels that way in western Ohio. But statistically
we're still 2 months shy of last frost. It makes for severely mixed
feelings.

I dug a little this evening on a long postponed (would be) terrace
in the yard, but still worry that the things that are breaking
dormancy will get slammed.

Gardening -- an adventure without ever buying a plane ticket.

--
|Drew Lawson | Of all the things I've lost |
| | I miss my mind the most |

Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
My favorite weather guy Madman says winter is essentiality over.

i will tell that to the snow forecast for
this evening.

songbird