Old 20-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Madgardener

Default ahhhh the tally now is 598

so far I've filtered out 598 Microsoft, Administrator, Security, Networking
andvarious bogus e-mails with over 149k in them as of yesterday afternoon.
This is getting outa hand. I hope this asshole gets a case of the hot
screaming runs................all this just to get to my friends posts and
the comics that comes daily.........sheesh.
madgardener tired of all this virus/worm mess...............and wishing for
rain (the cracks in the yard are now over an inch wide)

Old 21-09-2003, 12:42 AM
enoughluncheonmeat!

The 'feds' ? Ah, you think mayhaps that only Americans use computers and the
internet...
Still and all, it's noteworthy that only posters in this group are subjected
to this virus loop. I use 1 out of 5 accounts to post and that's the one
being hit with this garbage, so there's your source. Tracebacks are
pointless, this character cloaks really well. Proof once more that anyone
running their PC without updated AntiVirus protection or in the very least a
firewall is wide open to being manipulated. Sick world out there, campers.
Must be that glyphosate build-up.

--
msn messenger: Hortus Plasticus )
Outgoing email checked by Norton AV

y.com...

Old 21-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

I'm glad that somebody else has admitted to being on the receiving end of
all the bogus "Microsoft" spam crap.

I hope Bill Gates gets so mad over the assholes abusing his company's name
that he has all the offending parties behind this mess tracked down and
terminated with extreme prejudice!!!!

Old 21-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Shell91

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
I'm glad that somebody else has admitted to being on the receiving end of
all the bogus "Microsoft" spam crap.

I get between 10 and 20 of these an hour

I hope Bill Gates gets so mad over the assholes abusing his company's name
that he has all the offending parties behind this mess tracked down and
terminated with extreme prejudice!!!!

Now there's a thought

Shell

Old 21-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Jim Elbrecht

"enoughluncheonmeat!" wrote:
-snip-
Still and all, it's noteworthy that only posters in this group are subjected
to this virus loop.

-snip-

Yours is the third message [on 3 different groups that I read] that
has made that claim. No group seems to be more or less targeted as
far as I can see.

I've been getting 100 an hour for the past couple days & though I have
posted here, I'm far from a regular.

Jim
Old 21-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Shell91

People posting on my stamp group are also getting this. The "feds" will
work with the law enforcement group of your choice to catch these guys who
send out viruses and such

Shell

"enoughluncheonmeat!" wrote in message
The 'feds' ? Ah, you think mayhaps that only Americans use computers and

the
internet...
Still and all, it's noteworthy that only posters in this group are

subjected
to this virus loop. I use 1 out of 5 accounts to post and that's the one
being hit with this garbage, so there's your source. Tracebacks are
pointless, this character cloaks really well. Proof once more that anyone
running their PC without updated AntiVirus protection or in the very least

firewall is wide open to being manipulated. Sick world out there, campers.
Must be that glyphosate build-up.

--
msn messenger: Hortus Plasticus )
Outgoing email checked by Norton AV

y.com...

Old 21-09-2003, 07:02 AM
jrstark

enoughluncheonmeat! wrote:
The 'feds' ? Ah, you think mayhaps that only Americans use computers and the
internet...
Still and all, it's noteworthy that only posters in this group are subjected
to this virus loop. I use 1 out of 5 accounts to post and that's the one
being hit with this garbage, so there's your source. Tracebacks are
pointless, this character cloaks really well. Proof once more that anyone
running their PC without updated AntiVirus protection or in the very least a
firewall is wide open to being manipulated. Sick world out there, campers.
Must be that glyphosate build-up.

The mail server is down on the addy I use for usenet, but I'm still
getting them in another addy.

There is no one place they harvest email addresses. Usenet is big so
they may start there, but but if you use an address for anything the
harvesters will find it one way or another.

Janine

Old 21-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Michael Baribeau

..
I don't participate in any other google groups and I started receiving
these Microsoft spams since I joined here yesterday. What is the news
on this thing?

Michael Baribeau

Jim Elbrecht wrote in message . ..
-snip-

Old 21-09-2003, 04:42 PM
animaux

Eh, don't feel bad. A few weeks ago when that other worm thing was going around
I was getting about 600 spams per day. We use Mailwasher, which I believe is a
free version. My husband tried the pro version for a month and didn't feel we
needed all the other bells and whistles, but it does trap a lot of spam before
it gets into the mail program. Also, Zone Alarm, Spybot, etc...some of these
things overlap, but some things are unique to other types of protection. You
seem to get a lot of these things. It may be better for you to print off a copy
of your email addresses and delete them from your address book. Add them back
in, slowly over time.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:59:43 -0400, "Madgardener"
opined:

Old 21-09-2003, 05:02 PM
enoughluncheonmeat!

"Shell91" wrote in message
gy.com...
People posting on my stamp group are also getting this. The "feds" will
work with the law enforcement group of your choice to catch these guys who
send out viruses and such

Shell

Well, I dunno. This particular attack is clever, the disruptions it causes
is a bit like 'many scratches' and no doubt, that was the intent. Anyone
could do this, from anywhere in the world and the odds of actually locating
the scumbag(s) responsible are slim. Time for an ISP level pre-filter.
Interesting times we live in. If a series of these 'efforts' were to be
launched simultaneously, there could be severe economic damage. As if we
need yet another reason for damaging the economy...
In the final analysis, it is the world we ourselves have created. Millions
incl. myself depend on the internet for communications, perhaps we have made
too many assumptions. Hmmm.
Autumn Solstice wishes to all.
John H. Immink
Victoria BC Canuckistan

snip-o-matic mode on

Old 21-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Brigitte J.

enoughluncheonmeat! wrote in message

"Shell91" wrote in message
gy.com...
People posting on my stamp group are also getting this. The "feds" will
work with the law enforcement group of your choice to catch these guys

who
send out viruses and such

Shell

Well, I dunno. This particular attack is clever, the disruptions it causes
is a bit like 'many scratches' and no doubt, that was the intent. Anyone
could do this, from anywhere in the world and the odds of actually

locating
the scumbag(s) responsible are slim. Time for an ISP level pre-filter.

My ISP is filtering out the emails with the worms and virii attached. I
also use a firewall and an anti-virus, which I upgrade with the newest
definitions as soon as one is available, so I feel confident our computers
are safe.

Old 21-09-2003, 09:22 PM
David Hill

May I say thanks to whoever it was that posted the link
http://www.mailwasher.net/

free for 1 mail address and it really has reduced the problem to a low level
and it is also blocking most of the other Junk mail/Spam

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

I got this diagnostic message about one copy of the virus attachment. I'm
at least pleased to see that I'm in good company!
Andrew (aostrand)

RAV AntiVirus for Linux i686 version: 8.3.2 (snapshot-20020108)
HOL Antivirus results

The file (part0004:Patch8188.exe) attached to mail (with subject:Last
Microsoft Pack) sent by to ,
, , (and many more)
is infected with virus: Win32/NewMalware.gen!.
Cannot clean this file.
The file was successfully deleted by HOL AntiVirus.