Old 30-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Default Construction waste, how do I regenerate my garden?

We built a rear extension and once this was all completed, the garden is now a disaster. No grass and rubble all over. I am clueless about gardening, but very interested. I would like to clear this up myself and regenerate grass.

Can someone advise how I do it (sorry for being daft).

1. What tools do you recommend
2. Is it is a good time to start in April? With planting the grass seeds etc.

Thanks!!
Old 30-03-2012, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

mfw2010.gardenbanana.uk wrote:

We built a rear extension and once this was all completed, the garden is
now a disaster. No grass and rubble all over. I am clueless about
gardening, but very interested. I would like to clear this up myself and
regenerate grass.

Can someone advise how I do it (sorry for being daft).

Grass pretty much grows all by itself... your only problem is that
you're clueless and daft about physical labor.
Old 30-03-2012, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

mfw2010 writes:

We built a rear extension and once this was all completed, the garden is
now a disaster. No grass and rubble all over. I am clueless about
gardening, but very interested. I would like to clear this up myself and
regenerate grass.

Can someone advise how I do it (sorry for being daft).

1. What tools do you recommend
2. Is it is a good time to start in April? With planting the grass seeds
etc.

Since you're using gardenbanter, I'll guess it's spring where you are.
That's the second best time to plant grass seed.
Fall is the best.

Go for it. Rake up the rubble, scratch up the ground and plant the
seed. Refer to youtube or one of the thousands of sites for techniques.

There are lots of other details. Some of them aren't 100% necessary.

Minimum tools:

Lawnmower
Rake
Bag of seed

--
Dan Espen
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
mfw2010.gardenbanana.uk wrote:

We built a rear extension and once this was all completed, the
garden is now a disaster. No grass and rubble all over. I am
clueless about gardening, but very interested. I would like to clear
this up myself and regenerate grass.

Can someone advise how I do it (sorry for being daft).

Grass pretty much grows all by itself... your only problem is that
you're clueless and daft about physical labor.

Gentle Reader, don't think that this is an April Fool joke or a one-off
aberration, he's as charming as this all the time! Ask a simple question
and get insulted by a stranger for no good reason, such fun. Some think he
sucks too hard on the bottle. Nah. He's that clever without chemical
assistance.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/30/2012 5:39 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
writes:

[...]

I would add that, if the construction has been heavy with vehicles crossing
the soil etc, doing a bit more to loosen and amend the soil might be in
order. This might be as little as running a plug aerator (rentable) over
the area after thoroughly cleaning up the debris then removing and
recycling the plugs and raking compost into the aerator holes. Or it might
extend to using a rototiller (also rentable) to stir in soil amendments. In
either case smoothing of the loosened soil and removal of roots which have
surfaced with a rake and seeding would follow.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

writes:

[...]

Why are yoose imbeciles suggesting that the lazy ******* first clean
up the rubble... the daft doofus knows it's there, he says so... what
he wants if for one of yoose imbeciles to do it for him. Sheesh!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered User

Thanks all for the comments - I just got myself some garden tools - fork and spade set and a lopper for now, think I will spend the next two weekends clearing the rubble and loosening up the soil, once it is in a decent state, I will plant the seeds! True I have not done much physical labour, but I am quite looking forward to it!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 1, 10:24*am, mfw2010
wrote:
Thanks all for the comments - I just got myself some garden tools - fork
and spade set and a lopper for now, think I will spend the next two
weekends clearing the rubble and loosening up the soil, once it is in a
decent state, I will plant the seeds! True I have not done much physical
labour, but I am quite looking forward to it!

--
mfw2010

While I honor your enthusiasm, I hope you'll take it slow at the
outset. The "morning after" will probably be a little stiff and sore,
so treat the ouches like any athletic injury. Ice first, heat later.
Rub-in stuff. I used to teach at a gym where the older guys would
come roaring in determined to prove -- whatever -- and found out the
hard way that Rome wasn't built in a day, so to speak.

If there's really a whole ****load of soil loosening to be done, maybe
you could rent a cultivator?

Enoy the job. You will be SO proud of the finished job.

HB