Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Registered User

Location: socal
Default The Perfect Greenhouse

Hello! I'm looking to build a greenhouse in my backyard. Anyone have experience with building greenhouses? There are so many different kinds I just wanted some input from you all on what types would be best and why. Any suggestions are welcomed! thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

--
Terry James

I had a polycarbonate one for about 4 year years. It worked well until
the walls started to crack and became cloudy. It was constructed so
that if one piece popped out you had to unscrew several of the rails
to pop it back in place, thereby having other panels come out too.
Real pain. It was a 5 x 9 foot print on concrete. I sold it cheep at
the beginning of the year and my husband "stick" built one for me in
the same space. There were already 2 x 4's bolted into the concrete.
The new one is 8 feet tall on the one side down to 6 feet on the front
side. There are 4 double hung windows, a crank out casement window
and a roof window. Glass in the top half of the door. While it was
pretty full before the spring transplant, there was plenty of space
for starting plants. The glass is much easier to clean as you can't
use Windex on the polycarbonate. there is not a drain per se but there
is a gap where the water can run out. There is a ventalation fan with
a thermostat so if it gets too hot and we aren't around to open the
windows it will vent some heat.
Hope that helps a little. I do have photos if you would like to see
them.