Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered User

Default Clematis advice?

Hi,

I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering (large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice gratefully received

Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ray Jackson wrote:

Hi,

I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both
the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I
have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering
(large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by
throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is
just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the
andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice
gratefully received

sometimes you can help it along by gently moving
vines closer to the trellis so that as it searches
for support it will find it easier.

or it could just be that it will take longer for
this plant to be established well enough to support
more vines. we have several plants here that have
taken a while to get enough root system to put much
growth up top (and a few had roots eaten by voles).

sometimes it may be the initial root ball in the
pot wasn't very good and it will take a few years
for the plant to expand it's supporting roots into
the surrounding soil...

songbird
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Registered User

Thanks songbird I will try to be patient and try to encourage the plant up the trellis

Ray

Hi,

I bought two pairs of clematis last year - viticella and andromeda. Both
the viticella are growing up the trellis I installed very nicely and I
have lovely red flowers on both. The andromedas are both flowering
(large pink flowers) but only one shows any signs of climbing (by
throwing one shoot up the trellis) which has now flowered. The other is
just 'bunched' and stands no more than a foot high. Neither of the
andromeda look like climbing as the viticella have - any ideas or advice
gratefully received[/i][/color]

sometimes you can help it along by gently moving
vines closer to the trellis so that as it searches
for support it will find it easier.

or it could just be that it will take longer for
this plant to be established well enough to support
more vines. we have several plants here that have
taken a while to get enough root system to put much
growth up top (and a few had roots eaten by voles).

sometimes it may be the initial root ball in the
pot wasn't very good and it will take a few years
for the plant to expand it's supporting roots into
the surrounding soil...

songbird[/quote]
Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ray Jackson wrote:

Thanks songbird I will try to be patient and try to encourage the plant
up the trellis

good luck, if it gets really hot and dry where
you are at make sure it gets water and the roots
are kept cool (mulch).

songbird