Old 15-08-2012, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default winter vegi's?

Hi All,

This is new concept for me: winter vegetables. Our
winters (Northern Nevada) gets down to at 25F at night
with a handful 0F. Daytimes in the 50's. Snow fall
is about 6" at its worst and usually melts that day.

As far as I can tell, that means cabbage, carrots,
spinach. Bearing in mind I have an anti-green thumb,
so it has to be easy, what do you guys think I
could/should grow in the winter?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 15-08-2012, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

This is new concept for me: winter vegetables. Our
winters (Northern Nevada) gets down to at 25F at night
with a handful 0F. Daytimes in the 50's. Snow fall
is about 6" at its worst and usually melts that day.

As far as I can tell, that means cabbage, carrots,
spinach. Bearing in mind I have an anti-green thumb,
so it has to be easy, what do you guys think I
could/should grow in the winter?

Leeks for sure and some varieties of potato.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 15-08-2012, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

This is new concept for me: winter vegetables. Our
winters (Northern Nevada) gets down to at 25F at night
with a handful 0F. Daytimes in the 50's. Snow fall
is about 6" at its worst and usually melts that day.

As far as I can tell, that means cabbage, carrots,
spinach. Bearing in mind I have an anti-green thumb,
so it has to be easy, what do you guys think I
could/should grow in the winter?

Leeks for sure and some varieties of potato.

What variety of potato? Have you actually grown them in temperatures below
freezing? All the potatoes I have grown are frost tender and would have no
chance of growing in such conditions. I think you are in error here.

David

Old 16-08-2012, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

This is new concept for me: winter vegetables. Our
winters (Northern Nevada) gets down to at 25F at night
with a handful 0F. Daytimes in the 50's. Snow fall
is about 6" at its worst and usually melts that day.

As far as I can tell, that means cabbage, carrots,
spinach. Bearing in mind I have an anti-green thumb,
so it has to be easy, what do you guys think I
could/should grow in the winter?

Leeks for sure and some varieties of potato.

What variety of potato? Have you actually grown them in temperatures below
freezing? All the potatoes I have grown are frost tender and would have no
chance of growing in such conditions. I think you are in error here.

David

Don, you may want to look at
http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

and

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse_faq.html#plastic

Good luck.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 16-08-2012, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/15/2012 09:15 PM, Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Very interesting.

Have any ideas that will hold up to 35 to 45 MPH winds three
times a week and 75 MPH gusts two or three times a year?

-T

Old 16-08-2012, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Concrete, and "toughened" glass?

Old 16-08-2012, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt it very much.

Old 17-08-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:46:47 -0700, Todd wrote:

Have any ideas that will hold up to 35 to 45 MPH winds three
times a week and 75 MPH gusts two or three times a year?

Got an old book for you to ask the library for: Winter Flowers in Greenhouse
and Sun Heated Pit: http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results or the original Winter flowersin the sun-heated pit, including the lean-to greenhouse as a complement to the pit: http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results

Exact same principles hold for cold climate winter veggies -- and in high wind
areas, the pit makes a lot of sense.

Kay

Old 17-08-2012, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:46:47 -0700, Todd wrote:

Have any ideas that will hold up to 35 to 45 MPH winds three
times a week and 75 MPH gusts two or three times a year?

(snip)
and Sun Heated Pit: (snip)
Exact same principles hold for cold climate winter veggies -- and in high
wind
areas, the pit makes a lot of sense.

I know someone who grew grapes in a very cold climate in a pit - it worked
brilliantly. The only problem was that he covered the top of the pit with
Laserlite or Polycarbonate or somesuch and as it aged kangaroos often ended
up in the pit after trying to cross the ageing ang weakened pit topping.

Old 17-08-2012, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:46:47 -0700, Todd wrote:

Have any ideas that will hold up to 35 to 45 MPH winds three
times a week and 75 MPH gusts two or three times a year?

Got an old book for you to ask the library for: Winter Flowers in
Greenhouse
and Sun Heated Pit:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results
or the original Winter flowersin the sun-heated pit, including the
lean-to greenhouse as a complement to the pit:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results

Exact same principles hold for cold climate winter veggies -- and in
high wind
areas, the pit makes a lot of sense.

Kay

How would one prevent it from filling with water?

Old 17-08-2012, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:46:47 -0700, Todd wrote:

Have any ideas that will hold up to 35 to 45 MPH winds three
times a week and 75 MPH gusts two or three times a year?

Got an old book for you to ask the library for: Winter Flowers in
Greenhouse
and Sun Heated Pit:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results
or the original Winter flowersin the sun-heated pit, including the
lean-to greenhouse as a complement to the pit:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results

Exact same principles hold for cold climate winter veggies -- and in
high wind
areas, the pit makes a lot of sense.

Kay

How would one prevent it from filling with water?

Put it on the side of a slope.

Old 17-08-2012, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Have any ideas that will hold up to 35 to 45 MPH winds three
times a week and 75 MPH gusts two or three times a year?

Got an old book for you to ask the library for: Winter Flowers in
Greenhouse
and Sun Heated Pit:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results
or the original Winter flowersin the sun-heated pit, including the
lean-to greenhouse as a complement to the pit:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...=brief_results

Exact same principles hold for cold climate winter veggies -- and in
high wind
areas, the pit makes a lot of sense.

Kay

How would one prevent it from filling with water?

Put it on the side of a slope.

So a sun-ward facing slope with a little ridge upslope to take away the
water to either side, a plastic lid and keep the roos off. Thinks.....

Old 17-08-2012, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

The chap who I knew and who had the occasional roo problems, had 2 sun pits.
IIRC, one was in flattish ground (although I cna't now truly remember this
one) and the other was most definitely on the side of a slope. I remember
the slope one best because I recall walking into it from the eastern side -
I can't recall though if he had some sort of door arrangement on it - I
dont' think so. i might even try to call him and ask him aobut them and/or
see if he'd be amenable to having me come and photgraph them. Mind you, if
I do do this, I'll bet I find that my memory is highly faulty.

This chap lives in a very moist place - he's had to plant his trees up on
mounds so waterlogging would be a potential problem for sunpits so he would
be interested in avoiding that. He also has a genuine Chinese walking
tractor which really impressed me.

Old 17-08-2012, 10:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...use-and-sun-he....
http://www.worldcat.org/title/winter...-heated-pit-in....

[...]

***Could he have drained the area? Considering that the early Israeli
pioneers drained the malarial swamps along the ocean,
it doesn't seem like an insuperable task. Or was the area just too
large?

HB
HB

Old 17-08-2012, 10:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

No. I know that is one thing he hasn't done in terms of where his sun pits
are. These things aren't he least bit posh - effectively they are just deep
slit trenches cut into the ground - think of WWI warfare trenches and you
get the idea - on top of that he's put the clear polycarbonate equivalent of
what I think USians call ripple iron????

HB: Considering that the early Israeli
pioneers drained the malarial swamps along the ocean,
it doesn't seem like an insuperable task. Or was the area just too
large?

He's one retired man on a moderate pension living alone on about 200 acres.
He's had some ponds dug, but around those ponds he's still had to plant his
trees up on mounds - as I said earlier, it's a very wet area (in terms of
rainfall). His pits werent' close to these ponds but I cna't now recall
qyuite how far awya they would have been - it'd be about 20 years since I've
been there.

[IMG] code is On

Vegi Bed skinty Lawns 0 07-08-2007 08:04 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 14 23-04-2004 02:05 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 0 17-04-2004 08:08 PM
Vegi plants in pots?? Gardening 6 15-05-2003 06:56 PM
Vegi Gardens moya Edible Gardening 16 05-04-2003 04:20 PM