Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default how do yo plant carrot seeds?

Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,

There exist various devises for planting small seeds.
From inexpensive:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2200,33267
To pricier:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2200,33267

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Mix them with dry sand then put the mixture in folded piece of paper.
Gently tap the paper as you move it along the row and the mix will fall out
in a thin stream along the fold. Adjust the amount of sand to how densely
you want to plant them.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 08:44:19 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Mix them with dry sand then put the mixture in folded piece of paper.
Gently tap the paper as you move it along the row and the mix will fall out
in a thin stream along the fold. Adjust the amount of sand to how densely
you want to plant them.

That works with broadcasting grass seed, it doesn't work well with
individual vegetable seeds.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/07/2012 02:22 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

you can do it with paper towels if they
are the cheap kind that will fall apart
easily enough. some people have used toilet
paper (don't get it wet, just dab the seeds
where you want them with a bit of water
soluble glue).

songbird
Old 08-09-2012, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:06:26 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2012 02:22 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

It's a lot less expensive to buy carrots at the stupidmarket.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/07/2012 06:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:06:26 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2012 02:22 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

It's a lot less expensive to buy carrots at the stupidmarket.

The carrots in the supermarket taste like the cardboard they
are shipped in! They are bread to lie flat and not rot in
a storage container.

Two days ago I brought home a bunch of heirloom carrots from
a local community organic farm. They stunk my car up all day.
It was all I could do not to pull over and eat them right
there on the spot. When I finally got them home, my wife and
I devoured them. I was suddenly four years old again, which
was when I last remember carrots smelling like carrots and
having a pleasant taste.

Got my eye on some purple heirloom carrots for next year's
garden.

-T
Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/07/2012 06:45 PM, songbird wrote:
Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

you can do it with paper towels if they
are the cheap kind that will fall apart
easily enough. some people have used toilet
paper (don't get it wet, just dab the seeds
where you want them with a bit of water
soluble glue).

songbird

Thank you!

Would sticking them to masking tape work?

-T

Old 08-09-2012, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:01:50 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2012 06:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:06:26 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2012 02:22 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

It's a lot less expensive to buy carrots at the stupidmarket.

The carrots in the supermarket taste like the cardboard they
are shipped in! They are bread to lie flat.

What horse shit... and it's *bred*, and plants are not bred, you
imbecile.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/07/2012 07:25 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:01:50 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2012 06:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:06:26 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2012 02:22 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

It's a lot less expensive to buy carrots at the stupidmarket.

The carrots in the supermarket taste like the cardboard they
are shipped in! They are bread to lie flat.

What horse shit... and it's *bred*, and plants are not bred, you
imbecile.

Oh crap. I used loaf of bread instead of bred. Hey, I
went to publik skool! Graduated A- average too.
Couldn't read, spell, write add ... About died when I
got to college.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On 09/07/2012 02:22 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Do they ever sell (tiny) seeds on a tape?

It's a lot less expensive to buy carrots at the stupidmarket.

The carrots in the supermarket taste like the cardboard they
are shipped in! They are bread to lie flat.

What horse shit... and it's *bred*, and plants are not bred, you
imbecile.

Isn't it strange how your anecdotes are gospel but those from others are
horseshit. Any experience contrary to your preconceived dogma simply cannot
be true, Todd must be lying just to annoy you.

You only show how mean and desperate you are when you reach for the spelling
flame.

On the topic of correct use of "bred" it is very common usage with respect
to plants (3million plus hits for "plant breeding" on google) and a handful
of reputable dictionaries accept it in reference to plants too. See also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_breeding

So this looks like 0/3. Your abysmal manners might be more tolerable if you
actually knew something.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Mix them with dry sand then put the mixture in folded piece of paper.
Gently tap the paper as you move it along the row and the mix will fall
out in a thin stream along the fold. Adjust the amount of sand to how
densely you want to plant them.

Rather than using a piece of folded paper, it's easier if you just dump the
sand/seed mix in a jar with a plastic lid where you have drilled a hole. I
use an old Vegemite jar with about a quarter inch hole in it's lid. Works a
treat.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at a packet of carrot seeds. They are very
tiny. How do you plant them without special vision equipment?

Many thanks,
-T

Mix them with dry sand then put the mixture in folded piece of paper.
Gently tap the paper as you move it along the row and the mix will
fall out in a thin stream along the fold. Adjust the amount of sand
to how densely you want to plant them.

Rather than using a piece of folded paper, it's easier if you just
dump the sand/seed mix in a jar with a plastic lid where you have
drilled a hole. I use an old Vegemite jar with about a quarter inch
hole in it's lid. Works a treat.

Sounds like a good idea.

But what about the poor benighted souls who don't have a vegemite jar? I
suppose we could arrange food parcels. I reckon Shelley at least could do
with some B-group supplement, it might delay Korsakoff's syndrome.