Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User

Default Tomato Alicante going brown not red !!

I am new to the forum & new to gardening. I have tried planting 3 tomato plants this summer which all have over 15 tomatoes grown on each plant.
But instead of going red so I can pick & eat, they either stay green or they go brown. They are in an area of over 5 hours direct sun light every day, what am I doing wrong?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

tjg1965 wrote:

I am new to the forum & new to gardening. I have tried planting 3 tomato
plants this summer which all have over 15 tomatoes grown on each plant.
But instead of going red so I can pick & eat, they either stay green or
they go brown. They are in an area of over 5 hours direct sun light
every day, what am I doing wrong?

You don't say if they are rotting, if not you need to know that there
are infinite hues of tomatoes... if not rotting there's probably
nothing wrong.

Alicante is an heirloom tomato from a company that sells many
varieties of heirlooms of many colors including green and brown, quite
possibly seeds get mixed at packaging, has happened to me many times
with all kinds of vegetable seeds.
Click through the pages...
http://store.tomatofest.com/category_s/30.htm