Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Would you buy a GMO houseplant that could really scrub your air of pollutants?

http://www.indiegogo.com/SuperPothos/x/1889244?c=home”

or I could upload the pdf for the list. Is it possible to do that in
google groups?

Only to a binary group which rec.gadens isn't.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:29:49 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:

http://www.indiegogo.com/SuperPothos/x/1889244?c=home”

or I could upload the pdf for the list. Is it possible to do that in

google groups?

Only to a binary group which rec.gadens isn't.

Too bad. Will one of the other options work ?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/2/2013 9:48 PM, Stuart Strand wrote:
Not on my budget. I see on net that some plants are better than others.

I'd go for them if so inclined but I'm not. I'm not afraid of a ppb

of any common chemical in the air I breathe.

Yeah, Frank, but I'll bet that you're not as susceptible to those common known carcinogens as the babies that spend all of their time breathing those common home air pollutants.

Maybe. I'm a retired chemist and have been exposed to more of these

things then the average person and, so far, am cancer free.

I understand that we chemists live longer than average - must be all

those chemicals.

Frank, back in the day I knew chemists who routinely smoked in the lab; you could tell because there were lots of burn marks along the edge of the lab bench. And these were organic chemists, with flammable solvent bubbling away in the nearby hood! LOL! But they would assure me that, no worries: they hadn't been blown up yet.

If you are a scientist, you should read the literature on toxicology and not spout nonsense.

Maybe I am being flippant but I'm probably in the upper 1% of those with
a knowledge of toxicology.

I had lunch with a government official one day that told me he did not
want a single molecule of a chlorine containing compound in his glass of
water. I did not have the time or inclination to teach him about
Avogadro's number.

Those that practice chemo-phobia on the uninitiated try to scare them by
telling them of the nasties in their air, food and drink even though
they are present in quantities far below where they can cause any harm.

You won't be selling your plants to me
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:32:53 PM UTC-8, Frank wrote:
[...]

I'm sure not going to change your mind, but others less opinionated might want to learn about very real risks associated with indoor air pollutants by reading this short review of the scientific studies of these pollutants:

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net...pdf?1357159066

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/b3zjt2y
Old 06-01-2013, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Stuart Strand wrote:

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:34:43 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Stuart Strand wrote:

Dear David (and Billy),

Sorry to be delayed in replying. I wanted to give you a summary of

the latest research, so I had to bring myself up to speed with recent

meta-analyses of the growing home air pollution literature. Also the

holidays got in the way.

Anyway I have posted a short summary (pdf) with citations on the

SuperPothos website (in the Gallery tab), titled "Levels and risks of

indoor air pollutants"

thanks

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net...30102121643-Le
vels_of_indoor_air_pollutants.pdf?1357157806

This URL gives me a 403 error, security.

OK, sorry about the confusion. Two options:

1. Try this URL:
http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net...2123743-Levels
_of_indoor_air_pollutants.pdf?1357159066

2. Go to the indiegogo website, click on the gallery tab and download the pdf
labeled "Levels_of_indoor_air_pollutants"

http://www.indiegogo.com/SuperPothos/x/1889244?c=home

It's a little confusing in that you seem to be suggesting at least two
products. One to remove benzene and chloroform. and another to remove
chloroform, benzene, carbon tetrachloride and styrene. What, no aldehyde
removal for our FEMA trailer homes? What are suggested levels for these
toxins, and what are their household levels typically? Yeah, I could
look it up, but you are the one doing the selling. Sell me.

A little quantification would also be nice. Compared to other house
plants, like a natural pothos, with equal surface areas, at STP, how
much time is required to remove a given amount of benzene, or
chloroform from the test area?

Do you realize that a cytochrome P450 2E1 enhanced tobacco plant would
be of little interest to gardeners (as a house plant?) because of the
mosaic tobacco virus? Removing chloroform, benzene, carbon tetrachloride
and styrene from the home environment is a desirable action, but
removing the sources of this contamination may be more practical.

Lastly, please don't try to dissuade Frank from smoking around open
containers of ether.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 3:49:05 PM UTC-8, Billy wrote:
In article ,

Stuart Strand wrote:

[...]

Happy to clear up issues: We are presently proposing only one gene in houseplants: the mammalian cytochrome P450 2E1, which attacks and degrades benzene, chloroform, carbon tetrachloride, dichlorobenzene, and several other volatile organic compounds that frequently exceed health standards in home air. Formaldehyde is a desirable target of course, but 2E1 does not degrade formaldehyde. We are looking at other formaldehyde degrading genes for future work, but so are other groups in China and Japan, especially.

Of course we don't propose to use transgenic tobacco as a houseplant, that would be impractical for a variety of reasons. But since tobacco is easily transformed we transformed it as a proof -of-concept. Tobacco transformed with 2E1 degraded benzene and the other pollutants more than 20x faster than untransformed tobacco in small scale experiments. We expect that transformed pothos ivy will have the same increased pollutant destroying capability.. We think we are already close to having a 2E1 transformed pothos and will have confirming data this week.

As for the pollutant levels that are present in homes, the little review I wrote gives a good summary of the current literature.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/b3zjt2y

I don't think it is too difficult to read, but to summarize, most US homes have levels of benzene (2ug/m3) that are close to or exceed maximum health standards for chronic exposures (0.3 ug/m3). the same applies to dichlorobenzene (2 and 0.9 ug/m3 respectively) and carbon tetrachloride (0.6 and 0.24 respectively). Chloroform levels in showering typically exceed the one hour acute exposure standards (150 ug/m3).

As far as getting rid of sources, that is certainly the best mitigation action, but it is not easy. Benzene is emitted from fuel storage in attached garages, so you would need to find another place to park your car and store your lawn mover, no smoking, no indoor fires, including perhaps cooking. Chloroform is present in all chlorinated water, so, unless you use your own well, you will need a whole house activated carbon filtration, with frequent and costly switching out of the filter. Carbon tet comes from outside (as does a lot of benzene), so that is a problem. We think our superpothos would make a good alternative and could result in a decrease in the levels of these carcinogens, which even if the reduction is only partial would decrease cancers in the US.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:49:02 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Stuart Strand wrote:

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:43:14 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott

wrote:

The air in your home may have more benzene and chloroform (two

cancer

causing pollutants) than is allowed in the workplace. Every time you

park your car in an attached garage or take a shower you are adding

benzene and chloroform to your home air.

Please explain where the benzene and chloroform gets into my

showerhead and

what concentration in the house air might develop from this practice

and how

that relates to the safety standards.

The chloroform is in all municipal drinking water that has been

disinfected with chlorine to prevent water borne disease (such as

cholera). Chloroform is formed from the reaction of the chlorine

with natural compounds (humics) are present in almost all waters.

Chloroform is volatile, meaning that it comes out of the water into

the air when you use hot water in your home. So you and your kids

breathe this carcinogen.

Benzene comes from different sources in the home, not the shower

(please read the FAQ!): cars parked in attached garages, fuel storage

in the home, solvents, paints, even inks, woodstoves, and -- the big

one -- second hand smoke.

Studies of volatile carcinogenic pollutants in the air in urban homes

around the world including the US found levels that ranged into the

regulated levels for benzene and chloroform and for formaldehyde

(which our GMO does not degrade). for citations see the full proposal

on our website. So most homes were below the workspace regulatory

levels, but consider this: children and their adult caretakers spend

nearly all of their time in these environments with these low level

known carcinogens. These exposures are important.

There is a movement that says you can sell anything in the western

world if

you invoke the boogieman of danger to children.

Our children are precious

Exactly the same emotive motherhood and apple pie statement as any salesman

would make. I thought that you were a scientist.

This idea tells us to buy

special products to sterilise the inside of our toilet bowls and

every

surface in our house and to have a machine on the wall that pumps out

perfume/insecticide/ bactericide all day at timed intervals.

Now I would much prefer to house full of plants to splashing

chemicals

everywhere but I am doing neither until both the need and efficacy is

demonstrated. Your web site seems devoid of both.

Dear David, If you live with chlorinated water, when you shower you

fill your home air with chloroform.

I don't. But for those who do how much chloroform and how much is

dangerous? Your FAQ has no numbers.

If you store your snow-blower or

lawnmower or park your car in your garage you "splash" benzene into

the air that your family breathes. Please read our website,

especially the FAQ, to really understand these important issues and

how our new technology can provide some relief.

I read it and if you had read my questions you would know the FAQ doesn't

address them. Until you provide evidence that there is a significant risk

I won't be giving you money to develop a product to deal with it. So far

you are still in the same category as those who want to charge me money to

turn my toilet water blue.

So, David, I have posted a detailed and quantitative reply. Have you no comment on the data?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

I read it and if you had read my questions you would know the FAQ
doesn't

address them. Until you provide evidence that there is a
significant risk

I won't be giving you money to develop a product to deal with it.
So far

you are still in the same category as those who want to charge me
money to

turn my toilet water blue.

So, David, I have posted a detailed and quantitative reply. Have you
no comment on the data?

thanks, still digesting it.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:14:23 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
I read it and if you had read my questions you would know the FAQ

doesn't

address them. Until you provide evidence that there is a

significant risk

I won't be giving you money to develop a product to deal with it.

So far

you are still in the same category as those who want to charge me

money to

turn my toilet water blue.

So, David, I have posted a detailed and quantitative reply. Have you

no comment on the data?

thanks, still digesting it.

David, No problem, I don't think Superpothos is going to take off on Indiegogo anyway. I see from reading recent posts on the list that you are near Sidney and probably a little preoccupied right now. Best luck.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net.../2013010212164

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net...30102123743-Le
[...]

Thanks for the information. How long would it take a SuperPothos (at
STP) with a surface area of 1 square meter to clear a room completely
of, say, 1 microgram of benzene, chloroform, carbon tetrachloride, or
dichlorobenzene?

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:02:35 PM UTC-8, Billy wrote:
In article ,

Stuart Strand wrote:

[...]

Since uptake and degradation of trace pollutants is first-order (i.e., the degradation rate is proportional to the concentration remaining), this question should be restated as "How long would it take for 99% of the pollutant to be degraded". If we assume that the degradation rates we measured with the 2E1 transformed tobacco plants in 40 mL bottles also applies to the SuperPothos plants in a room, and we adjust for the difference leaf areas, then 1 m2 of plant leaf should take up 99% of the benzene in the room in about 1.6 hours. Similar times for chloroform and the other pollutants attacked by 2E1.

Of course, this question is best answered by experimentation.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net...iles/201301021

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net.../2013010212374
[...]

I presume that is 99% of 2.04 micrograms of benzene.

Thank you.

It seems that you make a good case, and I would think that there are
many who would jump at your product. Personally, I prefer to reflect on
it for awhile, and see if there aren't any unintended consequences. In a
world where scalawags seem intent on poisoning the biosphere, your
plants may be needed by the entire world.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 11-01-2013, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:55:19 PM UTC-8, Billy wrote:

[...]

Yes 99% of any concentration. Of course transfer of the pollutant from the bulk air of the room to the surface of the leaves is different from that transfer in a small vial (our experiments so far), so we need better, bigger experiments with a real houseplant (not tobacco). But we can't do that without funding.

Should we turn our backs on a promising method for removal of known and serious pollutants because of fear of unstated unintended consequences. Compared to the ongoing and unacceptably high exposure of our children to these indoor air pollutants? When a cheap and efficient method for removal looks to be close at hand?

Part of our proposal for crowd sourced funding was to test the transformed pothos for increased invasiveness or fitness in the environment (which would be bad) so we planned tests for increased resistance to cold, resistance to a range of herbicides. Without funding, it will be hard to run all of these tests, but we will try.

But we can't test for the unimagined. If you or other list readers have specific fears about harm that would caused by the release of pothos (Epipremnum aureum) transformed with cytochrome P450 2E1, hygromycin resistance, and the GUS genes, please contact me so that we can design experiments to test.
Old 13-01-2013, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Stuart Strand wrote:

[...]

We will do these experiments as part of our diligence, but we don't expect to
find any increase in fitness because the genes have known function, and they
do not help the plant to our knowledge (and experience in the case of the
hygromycin resistance and GUS reporter gene). The 2E1 gene has been studied
for 20 years or more and its function is well described. It is a detoxifying
protein, one of the most powerful and important detoxifying enzymes known.
But plants expressing 2E1 (and the other 2) grow just like the untransformed
plants, no worse and no better.

Here is a question for those who consider transgenes to be pollutants: Can a
gene that codes for the degradation of important environmental pollutants be
considered a pollutant itself? When there are no plausible negative effect
scenarios? The definition of pollution requires that the pollutant causes
harm. Our plants do the opposite, they reduce harm.

I do wish to thank the list, especially David and Billy, for teaching me that
most people are ignorant of the seriousness of the risk of indoor air
pollutants, especially benzene and chloroform. I had assumed that the risk of
these pollutants would be an easy sell, but I was wrong.

Stuart

And here I thought you were a man of science, but what to my wondrous
eyes appear, but another Willy Loman.

It would have been an easier sell, if you would have attributed the
health costs of these toxics in terms of financial costs, quality of
life, or in terms of decreased mortality. You offered to solve a problem
whose dimensions were never illustrated. Are we talking about major
injuries to our metabolisms, or the loss of years, days, hours, minutes
from our lives? What is the cost of this ill defined cure? Will the
existence of your environmentally cleansing plants encourage industry to
release more pollutants into the environment? Did you mention any
financial gain that you might accrue from the sales of this product. Do
you have a prospectus for investors? When is your IPO?

In an age when our leaders tell us that to feed the poor, we must cut
the taxes of the rich, can anyone be above suspicion?

Oh yeah, thanks for ****ing me off. I'm sure you know what you can do
with your plants.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 13-01-2013, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stuart Strand wrote:

I do wish to thank the list, especially David and Billy, for teaching
me that most people are ignorant of the seriousness of the risk of
indoor air pollutants, especially benzene and chloroform. I had
assumed that the risk of these pollutants would be an easy sell, but
I was wrong.

Stuart

Most people in the USA are not sure that evolution is responsible for the
existence of those potted plants, that pests might evolve to become resitant
to sprays or that human activity is the cause of climate change. There is a
sizable number who believe in astrology and moonplanting, that Fox News is
giving them good information and that Osama Bin Laden is at this moment
having a beer with Elvis in a little bar in Tupelo. You should get out
more.