Old 30-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Registered User

Default My phalaenopsis got no flower again

Hi,

I bought a phalaenopsis one year ago. After the flower die, I have cut the dying stem off. Since then It grow a lot of roots, but there was no flower again. Can you tell me why?
I am thinking to replace the pot to a bigger one but don't know what kind of "soil" it need. The "soil" looks not like soil, it looks like Tree bark?

Need your help.
Attached Thumbnails
My phalaenopsis got no flower again-flower.jpg
Old 31-12-2012, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/30/12 3:19 PM, Markjump wrote:
Hi,

I bought a phalaenopsis one year ago. After the flower die, I have cut
the dying stem off. Since then It grow a lot of roots, but there was no
flower again. Can you tell me why?
I am thinking to replace the pot to a bigger one but don't know what
kind of "soil" it need. The "soil" looks not like soil, it looks like
Tree bark?

Need your help.

|Filename: flower.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15444|

Does the plastic pot have holes in the bottom? Phalaenopsis requires
good drainage. That is why it is planted in bark chips instead of real
soil. The bark chips should remain moist, but there should be NO
standing water in the pot. Do you supply additional humidity?

The plant is not getting enough sunlight. The dark green leaves should
instead be lighter green, almost yellow-green.

The plant should be fed WITH ORCHID FOOD every other week.

My two phalaenopsis are in clay pots with drain holes. The pots sit in
saucers on top of pea gravel. I keep adding water to the saucers so
that the water level is just below the bottom of the pot. This supplies
humidity.

When I water the plants, I hold the pot over the sink with one hand
blocking the drain hole. I carefully pour water into the pot until the
pot is full of water. I then let the pot drain into the sink. I water
only once each week. BE VERY CAREFUL not to let even a small drop of
water get into the center of the leaves; otherwise, the plant might rot
and die.

To feed an orchid, I mix 1/4 teaspoon of granular orchid food in a quart
of water. I place the pot in a bowl and pour the mixture through the
pot. This substitutes for a watering. I capture what accumulates in
the bowl and use it to feed the other orchid. After that, any
accumulation is diluted to double the amount and is then used to water
my bromeliads and other house plants.

My phalaenopsis are in a greenhouse window in my breakfast room. The
window faces north but gets a lot of indirect sunlight. In the winter,
the window might get down to 65 degrees (F) or even cooler. Cool winter
nights promote flowering by phalaenopsis. However, they are tropical
and cannot be outdoors in our winters.

Also, while they need good lighting, they do not do well with direct
sunshine through the window. Actually, no plant will do well indoors
close to a window where it gets direct sunshine. Since my house is not
square on the compass, I have to hang shade cloth over the greenhouse
window from late April until mid-October to protect my indoor plants
from several hours of morning sunshine.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 31-12-2012, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Markjump writes:

Hi,

I bought a phalaenopsis one year ago. After the flower die, I have cut
the dying stem off. Since then It grow a lot of roots, but there was no
flower again. Can you tell me why?
I am thinking to replace the pot to a bigger one but don't know what
kind of "soil" it need. The "soil" looks not like soil, it looks like
Tree bark?

I'm new to orchids, but our first one flowered twice, then the stem died off.
About 3 months went by before we noticed the new flower stalk growing.

--
Dan Espen
Old 31-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
[...]

My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
Thank you!
Your experience will be my guide!
A few questions:
Can I buy bark chips and ORCHID FOOD from HOMEBASE?
You add water to the pot only once each week (I water it almove every day!!!) but keep water in the saucers to keep humidity?
Old 31-12-2012, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

-

[...]

'My Climate' (http://tinyurl.com/4xkcb64)
Gardening diary at 'David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current'
(http://www.rossde.com/garden/diary)

Thank you!
Your experience will be my guide!
A few questions:
Can I buy bark chips and ORCHID FOOD from HOMEBASE?
You add water to the pot only once each week (I water it almove every
day!!!) but keep water in the saucers to keep humidity?

Most REAL nurseries that carry orchids also carry bark chips and orchid
food. I believe Homebase is a hardware store, but I have indeed found
orchid food at a nearby hardware store. I don't remember where I bought
my bark chips.

If you are watering daily, you are watering too much and too often.
Yes, there should always be water in the saucer; but you need pea gravel
or small pebbles in the saucer so the bottom of the pot does not touch
the water. The saucer should be wider than normal to provide more
humidity.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Registered User

'David E. Ross[_2_ Wrote:
> [...]

day!!!) but keep water in the saucers to keep humidity?

Most REAL nurseries that carry orchids also carry bark chips and orchid
food. I believe Homebase is a hardware store, but I have indeed found
orchid food at a nearby hardware store. I don't remember where I bought
my bark chips.

If you are watering daily, you are watering too much and too often.
Yes, there should always be water in the saucer; but you need pea gravel
or small pebbles in the saucer so the bottom of the pot does not touch
the water. The saucer should be wider than normal to provide more
humidity.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
OK, I will follow your instructions to see what will happen. If the flower grow again I will tell you!
Thank you so much for your help!