Old 23-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Default Plant who needs a name!

Hi all,

I would be very grateful for any information as to what this plant is, as per the attached photo, as I am a complete plant novice!

I rescued it from withered neglect a year or two back, and last summer it did well with plenty of new healthy leaves but it seems to be struggling now with most leaves turning black soon after appearing.

Maybe I overwatered it, there was some white mould on the soil though not on the leaves as far as I could see, even when they go black.

My soil PH meter says pH is about 7, though I'm not sure how reliable this meter is.

I thought of putting in supports to help it climb off the soil and possibly avoid the mould, but as it seems to grow across the ground and put down roots here and there maybe it doesn't want to be lifted.

It lives on a windowsill in my flat, which does get chilly though not freezing in winter, and it gets a decent amount of sunlight I think.

Many thanks for any advice!
Old 23-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Registered User

Apologies - forgot to attach the photo - here it is as below -

Thank you for any plant ID info!
Attached Thumbnails
Plant who needs a name!-plant-who-needs-name.jpg
Old 23-01-2013, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/23/13 5:02 AM, SausageTreeSlim wrote:
[...]

No image. This newsgroup does not permit attachments. Upload your
photo to a Web service that we can access (e.g., Flickr).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 27-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Sorry the plant photo is on the second post in this thread as I forgot to attach it to the first!

Many thanks to anyone who can give me a pointer as to what sort of plant this is.
Old 27-01-2013, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/27/13 11:42 AM, SausageTreeSlim wrote:

Sorry the plant photo is on the second post in this thread as I forgot
to attach it to the first!

Many thanks to anyone who can give me a pointer as to what sort of plant
this is.

Messages to the rec.gardens newsgroup containing images or other
attachments are blocked by most newsgroup servers.

Old 29-01-2013, 10:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 27/01/2013 23:55, David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/27/13 11:42 AM, SausageTreeSlim wrote:

Sorry the plant photo is on the second post in this thread as I forgot
to attach it to the first!

Many thanks to anyone who can give me a pointer as to what sort of plant
this is.

Messages to the rec.gardens newsgroup containing images or other
attachments are blocked by most newsgroup servers.

The problem is that the post came via the UK "GardenBanter" forum, which
somewhat randomly copies the posts to uk.rec.gardening or rec.gardens.
Sometimes it gives links to photos which have been attached to the forum
posts, sometimes not. (for example, see Lee Mac's OP below in the thread
entitled "What is this (Moss like) species of Plant?", where a link to
an attached photo is provided). Sometimes it doesn't continue the
thread, as the OP's second post here didn't appear, although his first
and third did!

I believe it is also not entirely consistent in posting newsnet replies
back into the forum.

--

Jeff
Old 29-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageTreeSlim View Post
Apologies - forgot to attach the photo - here it is as below -

Thank you for any plant ID info!
Hi STS, from the picture, I'd suggest some type of houseplant similar to Philodendron scandens. To me, i think its almost certainly suffering from being grossly overwatered !! Most foliage houseplants need to be kept on the dry side in winter when not in growth !! the result is that the roots have rotted and from the look of it, its doubtful that it will survive !! I think you only hope is to lay the pot on it side (to drain the water) and cut it back by about half, hoping that there might be a spark of life, enough to throw a new shoot (but I doubt it !!)
regards, Lannerman.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Hi lannerman, many thanks for the plant name and advice, I will be careful with watering and I think this one is a bit of a survivor as it was in an even more sorry state when I rescued it originally, so I think it will pull through! )

Best Regards,

STS
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Registered User

Smile

Sorry that was meant to be a smiley at the end of my last post!