Old 18-05-2013, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default first tomato spotted

This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on one
of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it
yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

Old 18-05-2013, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/18/2013 5:08 PM, Gus wrote:
This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on
one of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't
staked it yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

Hope the squirrels did not read this.
Old 19-05-2013, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on one
of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it
yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

You are truly among the blessed. What, it's still May, and you have a
tomato? Hallelujah! Blessed be the home gardener. Compared to the
industrialized tomatoes of Florida, your tomato has 30% more vitamin C,
30% more thiamine, 19% more niacin, 62% more calcium, and 14 times less
sodium. Enjoy.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 19-05-2013, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:40:32 AM UTC-4, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"Gus" wrote:

This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on one

of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it

yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

You are truly among the blessed. What, it's still May, and you have a

tomato? Hallelujah! Blessed be the home gardener. Compared to the

industrialized tomatoes of Florida, your tomato has 30% more vitamin C,

30% more thiamine, 19% more niacin, 62% more calcium, and 14 times less

sodium. Enjoy.

--

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

don't forget 1000% more flavor!
Old 19-05-2013, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gus" wrote:

This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on
one

of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it

yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

You are truly among the blessed. What, it's still May, and you have a

tomato? Hallelujah! Blessed be the home gardener. Compared to the

industrialized tomatoes of Florida, your tomato has 30% more vitamin C,

30% more thiamine, 19% more niacin, 62% more calcium, and 14 times less

sodium. Enjoy.

--

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

don't forget 1000% more flavor!

My bad. At least a 1000% more flavor, yes!

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 19-05-2013, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Peek wrote:

You are truly among the blessed. What, it's still May, and you have a

tomato? Hallelujah! Blessed be the home gardener. Compared to the

industrialized tomatoes of Florida, your tomato has 30% more vitamin C,

30% more thiamine, 19% more niacin, 62% more calcium, and 14 times less

sodium. Enjoy.

don't forget 1000% more flavor!

My bad. At least a 1000% more flavor, yes!

And that may be an underestimate... I love garden-fresh tomatoes! The
plants are growing well; looking forward to a good harvest. The cukes not
so much so. One has already given up and withered. Still three growing,
but not very quickly... If I just get fresh tomatoes though, I will be
happy.

Old 20-05-2013, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:08:54 PM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on one

of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it

yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

Me, too. Got a few happy lil' campers. Hope they maintain their "cool" through the summer. Because our beach community gets marine layer, at least through "May gray" and "June gloom", tomatoes don't always do well.

I've had good years and bad years and terrific years.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother. In summer, good US tomatoes are cheap and abundant, esp. at the farmers markets. In winter, when I yearn for them, can only get Mexican ones (fertilized with the stuff we sell them because it's illegal up here) Go figure!

HB

Old 21-05-2013, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:08:54 PM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on one

of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it

yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size of marble.

Me, too. Got a few happy lil' campers. Hope they maintain their "cool"
through the summer. Because our beach community gets marine layer, at least
through "May gray" and "June gloom", tomatoes don't always do well.

I've had good years and bad years and terrific years.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother. In summer, good US tomatoes are cheap and
abundant, esp. at the farmers markets. In winter, when I yearn for them, can
only get Mexican ones (fertilized with the stuff we sell them because it's
illegal up here) Go figure!

HB

What stuff is illegal here that fertilizes tomatoes there?

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.