Old 18-05-2013, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best pattern to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants?

I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants
with somewhat varying exposure to full vs almost full sun. What
pattern is best, checkerboard, or alternate rows/columns?
Old 19-05-2013, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants
with somewhat varying exposure to full vs almost full sun. What
pattern is best, checkerboard, or alternate rows/columns?

Makes no difference.

Old 19-05-2013, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants

WTF is a matrix of spaces... 4 x 6 what... inches, feet, yards?
In a 4' X 6' space all you have room for is like four tomato plants,
maybe.
Old 19-05-2013, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 18, 7:02*pm, Brooklyn1 wrote:
wrote:

I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants

WTF is a matrix of spaces... 4 x 6 what... inches, feet, yards?
In a 4' X 6' space all you have room for is like four tomato plants,
maybe.

I have an area big enough for 24 plants, 4 rows x 6 columns gives 24
plant spaces, and with 2 varieties of tomato plants I just wondered
about planting the two varieties in a checkerboard pattern or
alternate rows rows or columns of each variety, or,aybe just two big
blocks, each one containing just one variety of plant. I was looking
for which planting pattern would give me the most tomatoes, if there
was any difference.

Your choice of language unfortunately reinforces the image of
Brooklynites as uncouth individuals, who aren't very bright.

Old 19-05-2013, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:

I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants

WTF is a matrix of spaces... 4 x 6 what... inches, feet, yards?
In a 4' X 6' space all you have room for is like four tomato plants,
maybe.

I have an area big enough for 24 plants, 4 rows x 6 columns gives 24
plant spaces, and with 2 varieties of tomato plants I just wondered
about planting the two varieties in a checkerboard pattern or
alternate rows rows or columns of each variety, or,aybe just two big
blocks, each one containing just one variety of plant. I was looking
for which planting pattern would give me the most tomatoes, if there
was any difference.

Your choice of language unfortunately reinforces the image of
Brooklynites as uncouth individuals, who aren't very bright.

Brooklyn1 is only typical of drunken jerks. He has nothing to do with
Brooklyn, and his previous nom de plume was Shelly. Forget
Brooklyn1/Shelly, his only link is to a bad liver. What are your
cultivars? Big ones go to the North. Un-caged tomatoes take more space,
especially determinates.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 20-05-2013, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 19, 12:30*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg- Hide quoted text -

I planted all 24 plants, 12 of each of 2 varieties, in a checkerboard
pattern.

a b a b a b
b a b a b a
a b a b a b
b a b a b a
a b a b a b
b a b a b a
a b a b a b

So, too late to change my mind, but if a good reason I can do
differently next year.

Old 20-05-2013, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
" wrote:

On May 19, 12:30*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

There are no gardening mistakes, just experiments.

You should plant your large tomato plants on the north side of your
garden (in the northern hemisphere), and the smaller ones to the south,
to avoid blocking their sunshine. For example Burpee Gloriana grows
about 4 - 6 ft. tall, Old German 8 - 10 ft. tall, and Italian Tree 12 -
15 ft. tall. You'd want to plant the Gloriana on the south side of the
garden, and the Italian Tree on the north side. Moreover, you'd want to
plant supported determinants 15" apart, and unsupported 24" apart.
Unsupported indeterminants should be 36" apart.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 20-05-2013, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 20 May 2013 08:28:51 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

said:

I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants
with somewhat varying exposure to full vs almost full sun. What
pattern is best, checkerboard, or alternate rows/columns?

When it comes to planting, I like staggered rows:

X X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X X

When it comes to varieties, I like to plant them in blocks,
so, for instance, with onions, block plant a white in staggered
rows starting on the left of the bed, then continue the pattern
with red onions in the middle of the bed and finish with yellow
onions on the right side of the bed.

This year, two varieties of paste tomatoes, one on the left side
of the bed, the other on the right. Helps me remember which
is which, when the fruit is quite similar.

Salad tomatoes I stake, one plant of each variety, sort of at random.
It's hard to mistake one variety for another as they are all so different.
I do like to take care toset the smaller fruited varieties on the north
side of the bed, as they always seem much more vigorous and would
overshadow the rest otherwise.

With vegetables gardens I like to plant all of each varietal of
similar plants (ie. different types of tomatoes, peppers, squash,
etc.) at opposite ends to minimize cross pollination and ending up
with aliens.

Old 23-05-2013, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 12:36*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On May 19, 12:30*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

The varieties that I put in are both supposedly the same height plants
so the southern plans will shade the northern plants a little bit. I
do not save the seeds so any cross-pollination problems do not exist.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 23-05-2013, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
" wrote:

On May 20, 12:36*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
On May 19, 12:30*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

Not to worry. Most tomatoes don't cross pollinate.

My pleasure.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/