Old 07-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Will a tree become 'protected' if/when it grows large?

When/how does a tree become a 'protected' tree - as in a tree that
you're not allowed to cut down? Does the local council or whatever
have to explicitly place a protection order on the tree or what?

--
Chris Green
Old 07-05-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

wrote in message
When/how does a tree become a 'protected' tree - as in a tree that
you're not allowed to cut down? Does the local council or whatever
have to explicitly place a protection order on the tree or what?

--
Chris Green

Chris, 'all the trees within a boundary' can be protected as well!!

Bit of a nightmare which is a pain if you are involved.

Mike

Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote after
Stuart Noble wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
| When/how does a tree become a 'protected' tree - as in a tree that
| you're not allowed to cut down? Does the local council or whatever
| have to explicitly place a protection order on the tree or what?

Yes. And the owner of the property has a chance to object.

But what starts the whole process? I don't think the council go round
peering in back gardens, and presumably no one actually wants a
preservation order

Our trees became protected because a neighbour cut down one of his, then
someone, who does not live particularly close, asked the council to
protect the rest, which they did. To be honest once they have made a
decision objecting, seems to me, is a waste of time! Then when it dies not
only do you have the cost of having it removed but you have to replace it
with like! Of course if the council decides it wants it down, for whatever
reason, then down it comes!

Near here a whole copse of mature Oaks had preservation orders on them , the
land was sold and within a weekend all had been felled. Council didn't take
the owner to Court.. too costly...job done.
Owner then told the neighbours he would let some of his caravan owning
friends stay on the land unless they would like to buy it. Made a huge
profit in a week.. the wood.. and double the price for the land.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

In a case near where my parents live, the property owner applied to have some of his trees protected, and the council supplied the protection order. They were leyland cypresses. He did this just before he died, knowing that his children, and his neighbours, hated them. They were planted in a row either side of the path down to the front door, and made it increasingly impossible to walk down the path. Fortunately the council saw what had happened and lifted the orders.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A bit of an aside, however I understand that fruit trees cannot be
protected trees. Also there is a rule that they must be visible from a
public road, track whatever. I gleaned that from a programme on trees,
where they wanted the oldest oak preserved, but it was impossible to do,
because it was in the middle of a field.

Protected Trees Pedro Popadopolous United Kingdom 4 01-10-2005 11:34 AM
protected fish story UK kathy Ponds 1 04-03-2005 03:36 AM
protected fish story UK kathy Ponds 0 04-03-2005 01:30 AM
Slugs to be protected BAC United Kingdom 4 15-07-2004 06:14 PM
red clover grows whereever white clover grows P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 7 04-08-2003 08:02 PM