Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sinister looking new vine in my yard

On 6/6/2013 12:04 AM, Farm1 wrote:
wrote in message
I found this in the thicket above my porch. The place is home to lots of
birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the
flamethrower?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11180...20312975048591

Flamethrower followed up a week later by poison then an army tank then
repeat as often as required.

Deer in my neighborhood take care of it.
I can't grow ivy except right next to the house. Even that is sparse.
Stuff I tried to grow on banks will get a good start and disappear in
the winter so it is not their favorite food.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
I checked this arrangement jsut yesterday and the ivy is still submerged
but
the most hopeful things I could say about the ivy is that it looks
'tired'.
The milk carton is under shelter so the herbicide hasn't become
adulterated
with rain, but there is not a single sign of death in the filthy ivy.

do you have access to a sand blaster?

LOL. I don't know what a sand blaster happens to be but I suspect it would
be the equivalent of an army tank and would remove all the mortar from my
brickwork.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
I found this in the thicket above my porch. The place is home to lots
of
birds, so I suppose they transported it here. Is it time to get out the
flamethrower?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11180...20312975048591

Flamethrower followed up a week later by poison then an army tank then
repeat as often as required.

Deer in my neighborhood take care of it.
I can't grow ivy except right next to the house. Even that is sparse.
Stuff I tried to grow on banks will get a good start and disappear in
the winter so it is not their favorite food.

Well we are starting to have deer appearring in our paddocks so they might
make it up to the house. I am not in favour of this though given the damage
I've read about in north American gardens. I thought that having mobs of
kangaroos was bad enough.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
I checked this arrangement jsut yesterday and the ivy is still
submerged but
the most hopeful things I could say about the ivy is that it looks
'tired'.
The milk carton is under shelter so the herbicide hasn't become
adulterated
with rain, but there is not a single sign of death in the filthy
ivy.

do you have access to a sand blaster?

LOL. I don't know what a sand blaster happens to be but I suspect it
would be the equivalent of an army tank and would remove all the
mortar from my brickwork.

Its a machine that fires a stream of sand and air at high speed. It is used
for cleaning large areas of rust or dirt on ships and other, usually metal,
structures. It is quite abrasive and you have to wear protective clothing
to use it. It would probably remove any soft mortar from between your
bricks quite quickly. To re-surface brickwork without cutting into the
mortar (any more than into the brick surface) use a concrete refurbisher
which will abrade the whole surface equally.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:
I checked this arrangement jsut yesterday and the ivy is still submerged
but
the most hopeful things I could say about the ivy is that it looks
'tired'.
The milk carton is under shelter so the herbicide hasn't become
adulterated
with rain, but there is not a single sign of death in the filthy ivy.

do you have access to a sand blaster?

LOL. I don't know what a sand blaster happens to be but I suspect it would
be the equivalent of an army tank and would remove all the mortar from my
brickwork.

it is a device used to clean metals of rust or
paint, also to clean surfaces of rocks, bricks,
whatever.

aimed at a plant it would likely take it out
quickly enough. after using just a bit you would
have a surface that would accept herbicides.

and, no you don't want deer without wolves,
wolves at least keep things in check. wolves
would likely help with the too many roos
problem too.

songbird

Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, June 7, 2013 7:40:40 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

songbird wrote:

Farm1 wrote:

[...]

Can't you just burn the ivy in a bonfire?

HB