Old 26-06-2013, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Default What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:22:42 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:08:03 -0500, "Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl"
wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that
attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your
choice so that you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings
at that point
and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with
these drip irrigation parts.

hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)

I'll retract my prior advice to Danny. Your part is far better and
simpler. Does the same thing so he can shut of the line

Which part did you suggest? I got lost reading all the posts and skipped
through a lot of discussion part...

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 26-06-2013, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/system...png?1331253321)
to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that
attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your
choice so that you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings
at that point
and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.

Nice. First time I've seen this type of 1/2" poly valve.

(I need to get out more :-)

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with
these drip irrigation parts.

hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)

I'll retract my prior advice to Danny. Your part is far better and
simpler. Does the same thing so he can shut of the line

Which part did you suggest? I got lost reading all the posts and skipped
through a lot of discussion part...

3/4" ball valve, new elbow, couple small section of pipe, and new
insert. Point was I did not think Danny could pull the "green" portion
out of the insert. The insert in a smaller size and a ball valve may
not be a match.

Your solution makes it a simple task for a shut off.
Old 26-06-2013, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I'm all about making it simple! hahaha!

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

http://cheezburger.com/7603840768
Old 27-06-2013, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

Your solution makes it a simple task for a shut off.

I'm all about making it simple! hahaha!

http://cheezburger.com/7603840768

oh THAT's cool! LOL

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:29:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

Point was I did not think Danny could pull the "green" portion
out of the insert.

You were totally right; the green thing would not budge.

They should make the garden hose nozzles out of that green stuff!

Old 27-06-2013, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 03:45:52 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:29:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

Point was I did not think Danny could pull the "green" portion
out of the insert.

You were totally right; the green thing would not budge.

.....bucket huckleberries

They should make the garden hose nozzles out of that green stuff!

As I previously stated, I've never seen one of these poly compression
fittings fail in normal use.
Old 27-06-2013, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:53:26 -0700, Oren wrote:

As I previously stated, I've never seen one of these poly compression
fittings fail in normal use.

I have a lot of that poly stuff and none of them are working.

I'm pretty sure they're busted and old, and in some cases the
sprinkler system isn't working.

Personally, I think the stuff is too fragile - but I don't have
any experience other than I do have a garden hose hooked to the
one feeding the Oleanders and the water only goes about 100 feet
or so, because the tubing is so badly cut up.

Anyway, maybe I shouldn't deprecate it so much, but I just think
it's too flimsy for my world. Of course, it would be a LOT more
work for me to bury pvc for a few hundred feet of the Oleanders,
so, I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Old 27-06-2013, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 04:26:21 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Do not try to patch pieces in. You'd be doing it forever. Wasting
money and time. When it starts getting leaks, in multiple areas, from
cracks and punctures -- replace the run. Save the drip heads and
barbed fittings. They can be used again.

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

Just sayin'
Old 27-06-2013, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Do not try to patch pieces in. You'd be doing it forever. Wasting
money and time. When it starts getting leaks, in multiple areas, from
cracks and punctures -- replace the run. Save the drip heads and
barbed fittings. They can be used again.

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

Just sayin'

That sounds like a good plan! I'm too lazy when it's hot and will patch
everything unless it just won't work! LOL

--
Natural Girl //(**)\\

Old 27-06-2013, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

wrote:

I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the
poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.

Do not try to patch pieces in. You'd be doing it forever. Wasting
money and time. When it starts getting leaks, in multiple areas, from
cracks and punctures -- replace the run. Save the drip heads and
barbed fittings. They can be used again.

Get a 100' or 500' (?) rolls and replace *long* runs.

Just sayin'

and you have to use compression pieces to join the patches, and they're
more expensive than running new line if you have lots of leaks.

[IMG] code is On

Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
Hostas - Getting chewed up. Freddie Lawns 11 11-06-2006 03:11 PM
Hops being chewed up Kayla Gardening 0 12-08-2004 02:15 AM
Cut Back Earwig-Chewed Butterfly Bush Again? Fleemo Gardening 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM
Chewed Viburnum Jan United Kingdom 31 17-02-2004 11:26 PM