Old 29-10-2013, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fruit fly control

How do you get rid of fruit flies once they get inside?

Steve
Old 29-10-2013, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:

How do you get rid of fruit flies once they get inside?

put a bit of fruit at the bottom of a tallish
container that you can put a top on. leave it
open to the air. once in a while, walk up to it
and see if there are any fruit flies in there.
if there are put the top on. walk outide and
release them.

change the fruit after a few days, make sure
to dispose of it in a way that does not let any
eggs hatch and start a new generation indoors.

fruit flies are not fast/strong fliers, often
you can capture them out of the air by clapping
your hands together at them or throwing a large
towel over them, i used to harvest them and
flies by dropping screens (for venus flytrap
and praying mantis food).

songbird
Old 29-10-2013, 12:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB said:

How do you get rid of fruit flies once they get inside?

Traps. Various ways to make them. I like to nip the corner
off plastic bag to make a small hole and then rubber band the
bag to a jar baited with wine or cider vinegar and a piece of fruit.
The corner that has a hole in it leads them down to the jar,
but they will never find it as they try to fly back out.

There are other recipes for home-made traps on the web.
You can buy traps if you don't want to deal with the aftermath
or seeing the trapped flies and rotting fruit and have money to
burn.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 29-10-2013, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:

How do you get rid of fruit flies once they get inside?

Simple... clean your house, dump your trash properly, bathe every day.
Mostly fruit flies don't "get" inside, you bring them in with
produce... fruit fly larva is already in most produce you buy... wash
produce as soon as you bring it home and as much as possible
refrigerate and/or place in closed paper bags... and bathe often,
really, fruit flies are very strongly attracted to a dirty crotch
because fruit flies are incapable of ascertaining if food is going in
or coming out... insist your wife and daughter bathe every day too...
female crotches are more of an attractant if you get my drift.
Old 30-10-2013, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/29/2013 1:25 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
SteveB wrote:

How do you get rid of fruit flies once they get inside?

Simple... clean your house, dump your trash properly, bathe every day.
Mostly fruit flies don't "get" inside, you bring them in with
produce... fruit fly larva is already in most produce you buy... wash
produce as soon as you bring it home and as much as possible
refrigerate and/or place in closed paper bags... and bathe often,
really, fruit flies are very strongly attracted to a dirty crotch
because fruit flies are incapable of ascertaining if food is going in
or coming out... insist your wife and daughter bathe every day too...
female crotches are more of an attractant if you get my drift.

How nice to see your offensive vulgar personality again after dealing
with you in the cabal foodie group.

I was in charge of breeding fruit flies for genetic studies in college.
I cultivated them for several classes. I know about fruit flies.

I think you are the one who needs some cleaning.

Start with your mouth and go from there.

Steve

Old 30-10-2013, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:

How do you get rid of fruit flies once they get inside?

Simple... clean your house, dump your trash properly, bathe every day.
Mostly fruit flies don't "get" inside, you bring them in with
produce... fruit fly larva is already in most produce you buy... wash
produce as soon as you bring it home and as much as possible
refrigerate and/or place in closed paper bags... and bathe often,
really, fruit flies are very strongly attracted to a dirty crotch
because fruit flies are incapable of ascertaining if food is going in
or coming out... insist your wife and daughter bathe every day too...
female crotches are more of an attractant if you get my drift.

How nice to see your offensive vulgar personality again after dealing
with you in the cabal foodie group.

I was in charge of breeding fruit flies for genetic studies in college.
I cultivated them for several classes.

You read my post a few days about about fruit flies.

I know all about fruit flies.

Then WTF are you asking about how to get rid of fruit flies... you
never went to any college, you're too dumb... lying douchebag.