Old 22-03-2014, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID mystery plant

I don't know where it came from,but it is sowing itself in several places.

At the moment, it is setting seed, so long seed-bearing spike - picture not good enough to show.

Picture I (hope) I uploaded to NG is before seed.

Would REALLY love ID.

TIA

HB
Old 24-03-2014, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:01:26 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

I don't know where it came from,but it is sowing itself in several places.

At the moment, it is setting seed, so long seed-bearing spike - picture not good enough to show.

Picture I (hope) I uploaded to NG is before seed.

Would REALLY love ID.

TIA

HB

Sigh! Is it really that obscure?

HB
==

Old 24-03-2014, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

I don't know where it came from,but it is sowing itself in several places.

At the moment, it is setting seed, so long seed-bearing spike - picture

not good enough to show.

Picture I (hope) I uploaded to NG is before seed.

Would REALLY love ID.

Where is this mystery plant located? What did the flowers look like?
(Tubular, some number of petals, etc.) This would help to pin down a
family for the mystery plant.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 24-03-2014, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, March 24, 2014 5:41:53 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

I don't know where it came from,but it is sowing itself in several places.

At the moment, it is setting seed, so long seed-bearing spike - picture

not good enough to show.

Picture I (hope) I uploaded to NG is before seed.

Would REALLY love ID.

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

No flowers yet. Tbis and similar ones have been in the garden for over a year, but this is the first time the one in front is setting seed.

What did the flowers look like?

Don't know. None as yet.

(Tubular, some number of petals, etc.) This would help to pin down a

family for the mystery plant.

Grateful for reply, but have no other info. Hope picture was clear?

HB

Pat in Plymouth MI

Old 24-03-2014, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

I am glad we got that cleared up. Just as well it wasn't down the back,
round the corner, past the oak tree behind the outhouse or we would have had
no chance of identifying it.

Old 24-03-2014, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

I am glad we got that cleared up. Just as well it wasn't down the back,
round the corner, past the oak tree behind the outhouse or we would have had
no chance of identifying it.

If you participate in rec.gardens regularly, you would know that Higgs
Boson is in southern California, in the Los Angeles basin not far from
the ocean.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 24-03-2014, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

I don't know where it came from,but it is sowing itself in several places.

At the moment, it is setting seed, so long seed-bearing spike - picture

not good enough to show.

Picture I (hope) I uploaded to NG is before seed.

Would REALLY love ID.

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

No flowers yet. Tbis and similar ones have been in the garden for over a year, but this is the first time the one in front is setting seed.

What did the flowers look like?

Don't know. None as yet.

(Tubular, some number of petals, etc.) This would help to pin down a

family for the mystery plant.

Grateful for reply, but have no other info. Hope picture was clear?

HB

Setting seeds before flowering? I don't think so. Either those are
flower buds, or else the flowers already bloomed but were not noticeable.

Old 25-03-2014, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

I am glad we got that cleared up. Just as well it wasn't down the
back, round the corner, past the oak tree behind the outhouse or we
would have had no chance of identifying it.

If you participate in rec.gardens regularly, you would know that Higgs
Boson is in southern California, in the Los Angeles basin not far from
the ocean.

I didn't recall and obviously nor did Pat who asked the question. As for
the other few hundred who might reply who knows.

Old 25-03-2014, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

Well, Mr. Ross reminded me you are in California. Should have made
my question more clear.

I'm more familiar with the weeds, wild flowers and garden thugs of the
upper mid-west and northeast, none of which your plant bring to mind.

What did the flowers look like?

Don't know. None as yet.

If it has seeds it must have had flowers. Either you didn't notice them
or they were insignificant.

Old 26-03-2014, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

Well, Mr. Ross reminded me you are in California. Should have made

my question more clear.

I'm more familiar with the weeds, wild flowers and garden thugs of the

upper mid-west and northeast, none of which your plant bring to mind.

What did the flowers look like?

Don't know. None as yet.

If it has seeds it must have had flowers. Either you didn't notice them

or they were insignificant.

!!! Of course you're right about sequence of flowers and seeds, but I remain baffled. I often looked at that plant, trying to figure it out, so any flowers must have been REALLY "insignificant".

(This brings up an unrelated question which I hope to research as time permits:
Which plants have large,showy flowers and -- down the scale -- small insignificant ones. What survival needs do each kind serve? Climate dependant, no doubt, but what else. Are there anomalies? Which, and why? Etc. Many questions. If anyone already has references, would be appreciated.)

Guess I'll take a picture up to nabe (neighbor) nursery & see if anybody recognizes it. I do plan to plant some of the seeds & see what happens.

Any other garden group youse guys could recommend? Might as well spread the net wider.

TIA

HB

Old 26-03-2014, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/26/2014 12:56 PM, Higgs Boson wrote [in part]:

Guess I'll take a picture up to nabe (neighbor) nursery & see if
anybody recognizes it. I do plan to plant some of the seeds & see
what happens.

Your photo shows the plant in a pot. Unless the pot is too heavy to
move, I suggest you take the live plant to your nearby nursery.

Old 26-03-2014, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, March 24, 2014 3:06:17 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

Sorry -- I seem to have misunderstood your question. Usually people ask "what is your zone" or similar question. I am in Southern California coastal.

Thank you.

HB

Old 27-03-2014, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:20:33 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/26/2014 12:56 PM, Higgs Boson wrote [in part]:

Guess I'll take a picture up to nabe (neighbor) nursery & see if

anybody recognizes it. I do plan to plant some of the seeds & see

what happens.

Your photo shows the plant in a pot. Unless the pot is too heavy to

move, I suggest you take the live plant to your nearby nursery.

Way too heavy. Will have to rely on photo; also take in a small cutting.

HB

Old 27-03-2014, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

!!! Of course you're right about sequence of flowers and seeds, but I remain baffled. I often
looked at that plant, trying to figure it out, so any flowers must have been REALLY
"insignificant".

Well, yes, flowers may be hard to spot. Grass seed-heads are actually clusters of "flowers" and
if you look at the right time you can see the stamens pretty easily and the stigmas if you look
closely.

Among broad-leafed plants, the flowers for members of the Goosefoot and Buckwheat families
are not much to look at either, and might be mistaken for seeds right from the start. Some
plants produce self-pollinated "cleistogamous" flowers which do not have petals and never open.
(Curiously enough,
some of our most colorful garden plants such as Violas and Impatiens may produce
cleistogamous flowers, especially when they are growing under stressful conditions.)

(This brings up an unrelated question which I hope to research as time permits:
Which plants have large,showy flowers and -- down the scale -- small insignificant ones. What
survival needs do each kind serve? Climate dependant, no doubt, but what else. Are there
anomalies?
Which, and why? Etc. Many questions. If anyone already has references, would be

appreciated.)

Wind pollinated plants do not need showy flowers. They just need to stick their flowers
out where they can catch the wind.

Cleistogamous flowers use less energy to produce seeds and are "good bets" for plants
that growing under hostile conditions or where pollinators are unavailable.

Showy* flowers are generally pollinated by animals (insects, birds, bats and sometimes
other small mammals).

*Showy not necessarily only to the eye, but also to the nose; some flowers with powerful scents
are not that impressive to look at, for example, mignonette (Reseda odorata).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination

Old 27-03-2014, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:42:07 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

[...]

BEAUTIFUL! I sit at your feet.

Reference: Medieval students sat at the master's feet outside under the trees.

(Matter of fact that's how Wall Street started as well g)

Leaving in your whole message -- so informative that later readers may profit.

HB