Old 27-05-2014, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default weird second year parsley

On 05/26/2014 07:19 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
They adapt as they go through the cycle of sprouting, living, setting
seed, dieing. Good old basic science of natural selection.

Hi Fran,

I was thinking genetically identical. Of course they would
not be. The better seeds would do better the next season.

My current Parsley has little green flowers on their tops.

How do I know when to pick them?

How do I store them?

Thank you for the help,
-T

Old 27-05-2014, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer writes:

I've always liked the following definition for weed: "a plant growing
in the wrong place".

I like the variation:

"a plant out of place".

--
Dan Espen
Old 27-05-2014, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
On 05/26/2014 07:19 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
They adapt as they go through the cycle of sprouting, living, setting
seed, dieing. Good old basic science of natural selection.

Hi Fran,

I was thinking genetically identical. Of course they would
not be. The better seeds would do better the next season.

My current Parsley has little green flowers on their tops.

How do I know when to pick them?

How do I store them?

Thank you for the help,
-T

It will develop star-shaped clusters of tiny flowers at the top of the
stalks, after the petals fall off you will have clusters of green seed pods.
When the pods are ripe is the time to harvest the seeds. As they ripen they
will change colour to yellow-brown and get drier eventually releasing small
black seeds. If the head is crumbly and you can rub it between your hands
and get black seeds separating easily then you can collect the seed before
it falls.

Google 'seed saving' for lots of information on how to collect and store
seed of many kinds.

Old 27-05-2014, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

Do you know if is practical to think they will
seed in time to be planted this year?

Do you think if I were to ask you if can you tell me if your socks have
holes would your answer be yes?

Old 27-05-2014, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan.Espen wrote:
Fran Farmer writes:

I've always liked the following definition for weed: "a plant growing
in the wrong place".

I like the variation:

"a plant out of place".

worm food.

songbird

[IMG] code is On

second year with my pond Peter Pan[_5_] Ponds (moderated) 5 25-04-2009 04:26 PM
Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:37 AM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:29 AM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 09:44 AM