Old 06-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Requester

Default How do trees reproduce?

im curious. if you have a tree how does it reproduce and make seeds
that grow into new trees? do you need two of the same type of tree?
for example. if i buy two colorado spruces and plant them in the same
location say 10 feet apart, when it makes cones will those conese make
new spruces? im curious as to how trees duplicate.

thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12

They reproduce the same way other seed plants do.

Read up on your basic botany, particularly sexual reproduction.

m...

Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Pam

Requester wrote:

im curious. if you have a tree how does it reproduce and make seeds
that grow into new trees? do you need two of the same type of tree?
for example. if i buy two colorado spruces and plant them in the same
location say 10 feet apart, when it makes cones will those conese make
new spruces? im curious as to how trees duplicate.

thanks

It depends on the type of tree. Most trees will have both male and female
flowers on the same tree and are pollinated by wind or insects, so only
one is required. A few number of species need both a male and female plant
and they don't necessarily have to be planted adjacent to each other to
produce seeds. Somtimes just in the same neighborhood is sufficient.
These trees all can produce viable seedlings although some are more ready
to set seed than others. Other hybrid or grafted trees, while they may (or
may not) produce seedlings, what seedlings are produced may have no
resemblance to the parent plant. You only need one spruce and it could
very well produce seedlings from the cones for you - I pull out small
conifer seedlings from my garden constantly, but they are mostly the
native Doug firs and hemlocks and cedars. Would love it if my Hinokis or
golden shore pine would generate some offspring :-)

The only sure way to duplicate the exact features in a plant is to
propagate by clonal reproduction - cuttings, etc. Some trees are very easy
to propagate this way, others less so. Most growers do this - seeds can
take a long time to germinate or require specific germination techniques
or not be viable, while cuttings can be cheap, quick and quite reliable.

pam - gardengal

Old 07-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Andy N

Late at night the leaves get together when no one sees them and that is when
the reproduction starts! That is why when a person thinks all the leaves
raked in late Fall from his or her yard that the neighbors leaves blow in
and cross-pollinate with! Since a person is unable to rake (all the leaves),
new offspring sprouts from the fruits of that secret union very similar to
human beings.

Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 AM
John S. DeBoo

Andy N wrote:

Late at night the leaves get together when no one sees them and that is when
the reproduction starts! That is why when a person thinks all the leaves
raked in late Fall from his or her yard that the neighbors leaves blow in
and cross-pollinate with! Since a person is unable to rake (all the leaves),
new offspring sprouts from the fruits of that secret union very similar to
human beings.

ROTFLMAO!

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 07-05-2003, 05:44 AM
zxcvbob

Birds and bees.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Andy N

John, It's good to know that you are the Fox in-charge of the Hen House!

Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Iris Cohen

if you have a tree how does it reproduce and make seeds that grow into new
trees? do you need two of the same type of tree?

Oh, dear, that is the subject of many books. I'll try to be brief. In most
cases the flowers are pollinated by bees or other insects. The pollinated
flowers turn into fruits which contain seeds. Most conifers are wind
pollinated. The pollen is blown from the male cones to the female cones. The
female cones ripen & contain seeds. Some conifers, like Junipers, have male &
female cones on separate trees, so you need one of each to get seeds. Pine
trees have male & female cones on the same tree. I am not sure about spruces.
In the case of most fruit trees, like apples, although the flowers on all the
trees have both male & female parts, you need two, & sometimes three different
varieties to get fruit.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Andy N

How about if a person prunes the ends of as many limbs as one chooses and
pushes each individually into moist, fertile soil and each and everyone
takes root and develops into a tree, would this also be reproduction?

Old 07-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Pam

Andy N wrote:

How about if a person prunes the ends of as many limbs as one chooses and
pushes each individually into moist, fertile soil and each and everyone
takes root and develops into a tree, would this also be reproduction?

Yes, but it is clonal (asexual) reproduction rather than natural.

Old 07-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Marion Margoshes

Andy N wrote:

How about if a person prunes the ends of as many limbs as one chooses and
pushes each individually into moist, fertile soil and each and everyone
takes root and develops into a tree, would this also be reproduction?

Certainly !!!! Asexual reproduction.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Requester

thank you for the details.
so does this mean that if i take the pine cones and bury them in soil
they will actually grow into new trees?

Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Requester

so your saying that if i cut off a branch or stem of say my japanese
maple. then plant it in a pot of rich soil, it will grow roots and
thus a new tree is formed??
does this work for all and any tree?