Old 12-06-2014, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Vine ID needed

My neighbor is having a modesto ash trimmed. It's been attacked by a vine for
years. The workmen say the vine is "wisteria ivy" but it doesn't look like
anything I can find on Google Images.

Any guesses? Images at http://postimg.org/gallery/6r9zrvgq/b1a87092/

Is this the right group for this question or is there a "tree" group that this
should be posted.

thanks

Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2014 2:04 PM, elfa45 wrote:
My neighbor is having a modesto ash trimmed. It's been attacked by a vine for
years. The workmen say the vine is "wisteria ivy" but it doesn't look like
anything I can find on Google Images.

Any guesses? Images at http://postimg.org/gallery/6r9zrvgq/b1a87092/

Is this the right group for this question or is there a "tree" group that this
should be posted.

thanks

Not "wisteria ivy" but merely wisteria. From the photos, I guess the
vine might be 10-15 years old. Soon, it will kill the ash tree.

I saw a wisteria almost kill an Italian cypress near my house. The tree
was saved two years ago by cutting the vine at the ground, but the vine
had so entwined the cypress that the dead shoots remain two years later.

See http://www.sierramadrenews.net/?page_id=259, which describes how a
wisteria vine planted in 1894 caused a house to be destroyed less than
40 years later.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2014 4:04 PM, elfa45 wrote:
My neighbor is having a modesto ash trimmed. It's been attacked by a vine for
years. The workmen say the vine is "wisteria ivy" but it doesn't look like
anything I can find on Google Images.

Any guesses? Images at http://postimg.org/gallery/6r9zrvgq/b1a87092/

Is this the right group for this question or is there a "tree" group that this
should be posted.

thanks

Never heard of wisteria ivy but it does look like ordinary wisteria. Did
it ever bloom? If it did, did it have purple or white blossoms? If it
was either it could well be common wisteria.

Old 13-06-2014, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 13/06/2014 7:04 AM, elfa45 wrote:
My neighbor is having a modesto ash trimmed. It's been attacked by a vine for
years. The workmen say the vine is "wisteria ivy" but it doesn't look like
anything I can find on Google Images.

Any guesses? Images at http://postimg.org/gallery/6r9zrvgq/b1a87092/

Is this the right group for this question or is there a "tree" group that this
should be posted.

I'd say it's wisteria but without any pics of the foliage or flowers
it's hard to be truly certain.

Old 13-06-2014, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Fran Farmer says...

On 13/06/2014 7:04 AM, elfa45 wrote:
My neighbor is having a modesto ash trimmed. It's been attacked by a vine for
years. The workmen say the vine is "wisteria ivy" but it doesn't look like
anything I can find on Google Images.

Any guesses? Images at http://postimg.org/gallery/6r9zrvgq/b1a87092/

Is this the right group for this question or is there a "tree" group that this
should be posted.

I'd say it's wisteria but without any pics of the foliage or flowers
it's hard to be truly certain.

That's the weird thing...no flowers or foliage. Google Image shows purplish
flowers. There's just a couple of images that look like the vine I see.

*