Old 21-08-2014, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Out of phase ?

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:27:21 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 8/20/2014 8:42 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:29:49 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

On 8/19/2014 9:53 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:01:06 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

On 8/17/2014 10:41 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

On 18/08/2014 4:18 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Curious whether other experienced home gardeners are observing same

phenomenon:

Last year or two -- most notable this year -- things are not happened

when they're 'posed to.

Yep. That seems to be the new pattern - ie, no dependability at all.

Have not collected exact data, alas, with 20-20 hindsight. But

generally plants bloom and bear later (I think!!!) than usual per

"normal" observations over decades.

First impulse is to blame it on global warming, and maybe that's

exactly where blame should fall. Just wanting to collect more data

in different zones as well as mine -- So.Calif.coastal (Mediterranean).

We've found that things such as the last frost date can't be at all

relied upon - one year the last frost date will be weeks earlier, the

next year itll be like we get two Springs - a warm spell and every sign

that Spring has arrived (such as birds collecting nesting material and

bud burst etc and then it's back to really chilly weather again with

frosts and that occurs long past the time of the 'old' last frost date.

Also, and probably the worst thing, the rainfall has dropped over the

past 15 years by about a third.

Climate change is upon us.

Some call it climate change but I call it weather.

We had a long snowy, cold winter that would have made you wish for

global warming. Term is now out of fashion for "climate change."

More or less normal summer and I got lots of tomatoes.

Frank, not to re-open the perennial debate over climate change/global warming -- but could you say if you are a "denier", or just offering a clip of your area's past winter?

HB

I'm not a denier but a skeptic.

There may be some evidence to indicate warming but proof that it is man made is sparse and draconian measures to prevent it, I believe, are way out of line.

I also like to needle libs like you

Frank, I thought we were going steady for a while! Now I fear that I might have to consign you to the gehenna where I put all who use the term "libs" when addressing moi.

In the immortal words of the late Rodney King: "Can't we all get along?"

HB

(freaking INDEPENDENT!)

We get along when you are rational.

"Rational" as defined by your good self. Look up "Hubris" - the sinful pride that brings down the wrath of the gods.

Sigh. I guess the divorce is final...

HB