Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default tomato plant never did produce

The huge plant never did produce any tomatoes. I did cut it back some, as someone said to stress it. But still nothing. Lots of flowers but not one tomato... Plants in the back have produced many though. More than I-- or the squirrel-- can eat. Was a good year. Have had a second crop and maybe a third depending on when frost comes.

Something weird. I have mushrooms in my front yard. Three big ones. About 6-8". Usually, this time of year the yard has brown spots from all the heat and lack of rain, but this year lots of rain. Not even the hostas turned brown this year and they always have in mid to late summer. Sometimes, there are mushrooms in spring but I've never seen ones so large as this. And it is September!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton wrote:

The huge plant never did produce any tomatoes.
I did cut it back some, as someone said to stress
it. But still nothing. Lots of flowers but not
one tomato... Plants in the back have produced many
though. More than I-- or the squirrel-- can eat.
Was a good year. Have had a second crop and maybe
a third depending on when frost comes.

i'm glad you had a good year.

Something weird. I have mushrooms in my front yard.
Three big ones. About 6-8". Usually, this time
of year the yard has brown spots from all the heat
and lack of rain, but this year lots of rain.
Not even the hostas turned brown this year and
they always have in mid to late summer. Sometimes,
there are mushrooms in spring but I've never seen
ones so large as this. And it is September!

yeah, it's been a fairly steady rain year for
a change. usually the month of August is when the
grasses in most lawns that are not irrigated will
go dormant for a while. not this year. for us it
has meant no need to irrigate any of the gardens
for most of the summer and only watering transplants
when needed.

we've been having more fungi on the beans and
peas. the peas normally die back in mid-summer,
not this year, they were eaten by the groundhogs and
didn't do much until they recovered but the frequent
rains and fairly cool temperatures have kept them
alive. i was thinking i would have to remove the soup
peas with the fungi that was attacking them last week,
but we've had some dry and sunny days and i left them
alone. will check them tomorrow to see what to pick
(and the rest of the beans). rains forecast again
for Wednesday... getting everything off the plants
as soon as it is fairly finished is the way i try to
keep ahead of both rot and animal raids.

songbird