Old 26-10-2014, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mulch over needles?

The street where I have lived for [censored] years is afflicted with horrible trees;

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7497036_casuarina-trees.html

If it isn't the effing needles, it's the effing sharp seeds or the effing sap on parked cars.

The City won't take out "healthy" trees. Whoever was the "forester" that put them in, could be 100 years? (I wasn't there g) didn't know much about species.

(Ex: He put in a variety of Ficus that has GIANT above-ground roots that wreck sidewalks and trip people.

ID'd as Indian Laurel Fig, Ficus nitida
Scientific Name: Ficus retusa ssp. nitida (Th.) Miq.
Synonym: Ficus microcarpa var. nitida)

Back to subject: Those effing needles obscure plantings and clutter up my arrangements.
They do not compost well, or at all, so I gave up and just rake them out and put in
yard waste bin..

This is a huge PITA, so I wonder if I can just apply small nugget mulch right on top of needles. Would presence of needles under mulch interfere with function of mulch: to
help conserve water in our drought, as well as aesthetics.

Tree supposedly originated in OZ. Hope somebody has an educated opinion on whether it's safe to mulch over needles.

TIA

HB
Old 26-10-2014, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
This is a huge PITA, so I wonder if I can just apply small nugget mulch right on top of needles. Would presence of needles under mulch interfere with function of mulch: to
help conserve water in our drought, as well as aesthetics.

Tree supposedly originated in OZ. Hope somebody has an educated opinion on whether it's safe to mulch over needles.

mulch will break down less if it is kept dry,
the needles under the nuggets will rot before
the nuggets. so ... seems ok to me.

is fire a hazard? might not be a good idea
to build up a pile of burnables too close to
valuable structures or plants...

songbird
Old 27-10-2014, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

I had an opoportunity once to receive a pickup load of pine needles. I jumped at
the opportunity, and they make great long lasting mulch, that does an excellent
job of keeping weeds down. I imagine yours would do similarly.

Old 27-10-2014, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 6:10:06 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
This is a huge PITA, so I wonder if I can just apply small nugget mulch right on top of needles. Would presence of needles under mulch interfere with function of mulch: to
help conserve water in our drought, as well as aesthetics.

Tree supposedly originated in OZ. Hope somebody has an educated opinion on whether it's safe to mulch over needles.

mulch will break down less if it is kept dry,
the needles under the nuggets will rot before
the nuggets. so ... seems ok to me.

is fire a hazard? might not be a good idea
to build up a pile of burnables too close to
valuable structures or plants...

songbird

Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

Appreciate caution fire hazard. No valuable plants/structures would be close.

HB
Old 27-10-2014, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:14:11 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Interesting! Trying to connect this in my mind with my experience in composting.
Needles never DID compost. Is this good or bad for my objective of mulching over needles? Sorry for sounding opaque g

HB
HB

Old 29-10-2014, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

It's good if you don't want to have to keep adding mulch. If you goal is to add
nutrients to the soil, the needles could slow that down a bit, but I wouldn't
expect much slowdown because the added mulch will speed up the composting of the
needles by keeping them more moist.

Old 29-10-2014, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Thanks; that helps clear my so-called mind. Goal is NOT to add nutrients to soil.
Goal is to escape nuisance job of clearing needles before applying compost.

Will go ahead & apply compost over needles. Fate of the Universe hangs not in balance.
However -- eternally curious -- will leave a control area as is, namely, remove needles before applying compost, to observe results.

Could there be a PhD dissertation in this?

HB

Old 30-10-2014, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Definately in this case. By the "Piled Higher and Deeper" definition.

Old 31-10-2014, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob F wrote:
Hypatia writes:

Could there be a PhD dissertation in this?

Definately in this case. By the "Piled Higher and Deeper" definition.

*grins* certainly well fitted to the cause of
generating yet another LPU (least publishable unit).

songbird
Old 31-10-2014, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt
to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before
mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

no, mulch is mulch. mice might like it, nice
shingled roof and soft needles to nest in.

Old 31-10-2014, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt
to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before
mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

no, mulch is mulch. mice might like it, nice
shingled roof and soft needles to nest in.

songbird

Not always. Some plants exhibit allelopathy. Casuarina is a suspect. Have
you ever noticed that left alone almost nothing grows under a grove of them?

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt
to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before
mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

no, mulch is mulch. mice might like it, nice
shingled roof and soft needles to nest in.

Not always. Some plants exhibit allelopathy. Casuarina is a suspect. Have
you ever noticed that left alone almost nothing grows under a grove of them?

yes, but in this particular case we've already
established that there are no valuable plants near
these trees/needles.

songbird
Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, October 31, 2014 5:51:39 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt
to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before
mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles.
Any downside?

no, mulch is mulch. mice might like it, nice
shingled roof and soft needles to nest in.

Fortunately (peaked tile) roof nowhere near needles.

HP