Old 15-03-2015, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default citrus tree question

My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

thanks...
--
Jenn
Old 15-03-2015, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/15/2015 2:24 PM, Jenn wrote:
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

thanks...

Only scale problem I had, on a gardenia, was cured with a systemic
insecticide. Unfortunately it will probably not be wise to eat the
fruit for some time. Maybe others will know.
Old 16-03-2015, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jenn wrote:
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they
are covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty
things?
thanks...

If the trees are small and not too infested pick them off. If large or badly
taken spray with soluble oil (aka white oil or pest oil) according to
directions.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

Old 16-03-2015, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/15/2015 11:24 AM, Jenn wrote:
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

thanks...

Scale can be eliminated with malathion.

Long-term protection can be obtained with a soil drench containing
Imidacloprid. Although it is not approved for use on edibles, research
indicates it is harmless to mammals and birds. However, do not use it
during or prior to blooming since it is quite toxic to bees. If
blooming is expected within the next two months, I would wait.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 19-03-2015, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 3/15/2015 11:24 AM, Jenn wrote:
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

Long-term protection can be obtained with a soil drench containing
Imidacloprid. Although it is not approved for use on edibles, research
indicates it is harmless to mammals and birds. However, do not use it
during or prior to blooming since it is quite toxic to bees. If
blooming is expected within the next two months, I would wait.

I doubt Jenn's husband has bees in his green house, but possibly he has a
hive in there.

Old 19-03-2015, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/19/2015 9:32 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 3/15/2015 11:24 AM, Jenn wrote:
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

Long-term protection can be obtained with a soil drench containing
Imidacloprid. Although it is not approved for use on edibles, research
indicates it is harmless to mammals and birds. However, do not use it
during or prior to blooming since it is quite toxic to bees. If
blooming is expected within the next two months, I would wait.

I doubt Jenn's husband has bees in his green house, but possibly he has a
hive in there.

In some areas, greenhouses are opened to the outside as the weather
becomes mild. Bees would then visit the citrus in the greenhouse.

Pollination, however, is not required for citrus to form fruit. Seeds
in such fruit are even viable. This characteristic is called
"apomixis". Thus, my caution is to protect bees, not to promote fruiting.

Old 21-03-2015, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/19/2015 2:29 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

We don't have a bee hive, but we do want to protect the bees and not
kill any. I mentioned to him the idea about the oil spray, though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Right now the citrus trees have dropped all of their leaves, I guess
from being in a cooler green house and the light cycle being the winter
cycle. Does it matter if he sprays with the oil spray as it begins to
leaf out, or should he try to get that done before it leafs out?

--
Jenn
Old 21-03-2015, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/21/2015 9:21 AM, Jenn wrote:
[...]

Definitely apply oil before new growth begins. The oil will damage new
growth.

I would be very concerned if my citrus became leafless. Citrus is a
subtropical, broad-leaf evergreen. It should have leaves year-round.

Old 21-03-2015, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/21/2015 1:17 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/21/2015 9:21 AM, Jenn wrote:
[...]

Last winter when they dropped all their leaves I thought they were dead
for sure, but come spring when the daylight cycle changed and it warmed
up they all leafed out again just like the rest of deciduous trees do.

I was pleasantly surprised about that ... I'll let my husband know to
get with it using that oil spray before they start to leaf out again.

--
Jenn
Old 21-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn[_2_] View Post
My husband has a couple of citrus trees in his green house, and they are
covered with scale insect. How does he get rid of the nasty things?

thanks...
--
Jenn

Pesticides will be your best bet or perhaps Neem oil. Further info can be read here
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...trus-scale.htm

Old 22-03-2015, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jenn wrote:
[...]

Your citrus are very sick. They should NOT drop their leaves. You say
they did this last year but recovered, this is not a good sign, they ought
not to do it any year. There are many causes for this including under and
over watering, over fertilising, lack of sun and freezing. An adult orange
will stand a light frost, a tahitian lime will not be happy with any frost.
They will be more suseptible to insect damaged while stressed for whatever
reason.

The further out of its comfort zone you try to grow a plant the more skill
and effort it takes to compensate. If you have neither the right climate
nor the skill and time you are not going to have happy trees.

Old 22-03-2015, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:27:37 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Growing out of comfort zone is the specific goal of many a specialty
gardener.

Surely it takes care and is best left to someone who understands
specifics, but there is a learning curve in any endeavor.

Here in northern NJ, I have grown potted and tubbed citrus for many
years, mostly successfully, but there can be fatal problems with *any*
sort of planting, indoors or out, native or exotic. We do our best,
read up, ask advice online, from libraries, nurseries or extension
services. Such is the delight and adventure of gardening and
maintaining houseplants. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it
doesn't, but that does not mean anyone should ever be discouraged from
trying. These aren't puppies...they are plants.

I take as a challenge all the attempts to grow out of clime. I am
sure there are few here in my area that can harvest olives in the fall
or have kefir lime leaves whenever the recipe calls for it or have a
indoor bottle brush tree that blooms in January. I have a lot of fun
with a full assortment of fresh herbs in my kitchen all winter and
they look so good among the orchids.

One can have citrus come back from scale and almost total leaf loss.
It can happen.

Boron
Old 22-03-2015, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

We have 4 citrus trees in our green house and they all lose all of their
leaves when we winter them there, but come spring, they leaf out again
just like deciduous trees and bushes. It's kind of cool.

--
Jenn
Old 22-03-2015, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Even cooler is buying Tropicana OJ! LOL

Old 22-03-2015, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Sure you can, never suggested you can't. The more stresses you put on the
plant the less chance it will reach anything like its potential and the more
chance that one more stress will be its last.