Old 07-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Katherine

Default Cheap source for compost in Vancouver?

I am a member of a non-profit gardening club and we were hoping to
find a source for cheap compost in Vancouver, BC area. Can anyone
help us?

Thanks very much,
Katherine
Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 PM
jhultman

Katherine wrote:

I am a member of a non-profit gardening club and we were hoping to
find a source for cheap compost in Vancouver, BC area. Can anyone
help us?

Thanks very much,
Katherine

Vancouver collects yard waste from residents but doesn't offer
it back as compost like some cities do in the area I live.
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...yard/index.htm

Might want to try to talk the city into returning, in compost, some of what is
given them. I bet they're selling the composted yard waste.

Here's a comparison
http://www.ci.sunnyvale.ca.us/recycle/smart-yard.htm

Otherwise the only suggestion I can offer would be to start that compost heap.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 AM
montana

In article , jhultman
wrote:

Katherine wrote:

I am a member of a non-profit gardening club and we were hoping to
find a source for cheap compost in Vancouver, BC area. Can anyone
help us?

Thanks very much,
Katherine

Vancouver collects yard waste from residents but doesn't offer
it back as compost like some cities do in the area I live.
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...yard/index.htm

Might want to try to talk the city into returning, in compost, some of what is
given them. I bet they're selling the composted yard waste.

Here's a comparison
http://www.ci.sunnyvale.ca.us/recycle/smart-yard.htm

Otherwise the only suggestion I can offer would be to start that compost heap.

Jeff

I'm not in your area, but our city collects yard waste and, along with
several other cities, composts their take in one spot. Each of the
cities offers this compost inexpensively one day a year, but if you find
out where the main composting is done, you can drive over there and buy
it inexpensively any time. You have to bring your own containers.
Perhaps there is some place similar near you.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Kay Lancaster

Watch out for the combination of "cheap" and "compost"... Picloram and
Clorpyralid are a couple of broadleaf herbicides that may survive composting...
they've gotten into compost before, with devastating effects on gardens: e.g.:
http://cahenews.wsu.edu/RELEASES/2001/01035.htm
http://www.cityofseattle.net/util/clopyralid/
This is a special problem with compost made from yard wastes. A friend whose
garden was affected by it in Pullman is still seeing residual effects several
years later.

Peas are good test cases to use for checking to see if a compost
is contaminated. See: http://css.wsu.edu/compost/bioassay.htm

Kay Lancaster

Old 20-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Katherine

Thanks for all the information! I should have known about the "you
get what you pay for" thing...

Vancouver city does sell compost to its residence, but its a ways out
of the city (in Delta, about a ..... hmmm (guessing) 30 min drive out
of town), and its $10/cubic meter. That seems expensive, is it?

Katherine

Old 25-05-2003, 06:44 PM
ecologicals

"Katherine" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for all the information! I should have known about the "you
get what you pay for" thing...

Vancouver city does sell compost to its residence, but its a ways out
of the city (in Delta, about a ..... hmmm (guessing) 30 min drive out
of town), and its $10/cubic meter. That seems expensive, is it?

Katherine

Ten Dollars for a cube of good compost is a bargain.
Then again, everything is relative, ain't it.....as I pay $ 8 for a pack of
cigarettes.

John in Victoria BC