Old 17-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Default Cordyline Australis not growing straight

Hi everyone,

I’ve just signed up as I’m struggling to find an answer to a problem I have with my Cordyline Australis. I have searched and can’t find anything similar, we planted our Australis 3 years ago to go with one that was already in the garden. It has done really well but the trunk is quite narrow and was getting blown over in the wind so it has been staked for the past 2 years but it has grown in an S shape.
It looks really healthy and is still growing really well, but I don’t know what to do about straightening it out ??
Thinking back, I’m not sure I dug a deep enough hole for it when I planted it

My photos are too big so I will resize them and post them.

Many Thanks
Dave
Old 17-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Registered User

Photos added
Attached Thumbnails
Cordyline Australis not growing straight-image1.jpeg   Cordyline Australis not growing straight-image2.jpeg   Cordyline Australis not growing straight-image3.jpeg   Cordyline Australis not growing straight-image4.jpeg
Old 17-10-2017, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 17/10/17 12:51, Fulhamboy70 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve just signed up as I’m struggling to find an answer to a problem I
have with my Cordyline Australis. I have searched and can’t find
anything similar, we planted our Australis 3 years ago to go with one
that was already in the garden. It has done really well but the trunk is
quite narrow and was getting blown over in the wind so it has been
staked for the past 2 years but it has grown in an S shape.
It looks really healthy and is still growing really well, but I don’t
know what to do about straightening it out ??
Thinking back, I’m not sure I dug a deep enough hole for it when I
planted it

My photos are too big so I will resize them and post them.

Many Thanks
Dave

I wouldn't try to straighten it out, particularly if it's growing well.
Are all the plants shown here straight?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22cordyline+australis%22&lr=&hl=en-GB&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved= 0ahUKEwiWrInW8ffWAhVMLVAKHcPTDNsQiR4IuAI&biw=1358& bih=566

--

Jeff
Old 17-10-2017, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/17/2017 4:51 AM, Fulhamboy70 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve just signed up as I’m struggling to find an answer to a problem I
have with my Cordyline Australis. I have searched and can’t find
anything similar, we planted our Australis 3 years ago to go with one
that was already in the garden. It has done really well but the trunk is
quite narrow and was getting blown over in the wind so it has been
staked for the past 2 years but it has grown in an S shape.
It looks really healthy and is still growing really well, but I don’t
know what to do about straightening it out ??
Thinking back, I’m not sure I dug a deep enough hole for it when I
planted it

My photos are too big so I will resize them and post them.

Many Thanks
Dave

I am not sure about C. australis, but I have had excellent success
rooting the cutoff top of a C. fruticosa. If you want to start over,
this is something to try. As I recall, the trunk of my C. fruticosa
developed a new shoot while the top was rooting.

I would not attempt to straighten it. Irregularities in trunks and --
for other trees -- branches increases the interesting aspect.

If you insist, however, I would tie a wooden stake to the trunk above,
below, and at the bend. The stake should NOT be inserted into the
ground. It should be tied quite tight, especially at the bend. You
must then monitor the ties to make sure they do not girdle the trunk as
it grows. At the bend, you will likely not be able to tie the trunk
snug to the stake; there, you will have to gradually make the tie
tighter over time (again avoiding girdling).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 17-10-2017, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/17/2017 4:51 AM, Fulhamboy70 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve just signed up as I’m struggling to find an answer to a problem I
have with my Cordyline Australis. I have searched and can’t find
anything similar, we planted our Australis 3 years ago to go with one
that was already in the garden. It has done really well but the trunk
is quite narrow and was getting blown over in the wind so it has been
staked for the past 2 years but it has grown in an S shape.
It looks really healthy and is still growing really well, but I don’t
know what to do about straightening it out ??
Thinking back, I’m not sure I dug a deep enough hole for it when I
planted it

My photos are too big so I will resize them and post them.

Many Thanks
Dave

If planted in the ground why would it blow over... saplinhgs tend to
bend in the wind, not become uprooted... and bending in the wind
encourages a stronger root system so staking is not a good idea.

Usually saplings will slowly straighten as they grow... also depends
on the direction the sun strikes.. with sun stiking equally
straightening occurs quicker. Often young saplings develop odd
configurations in crowded plant nurseries from being shaded half the
day, especially when saplings are potted, set half in shade, and moved
only ocasionally... or blown over from wind and not set right for many
weeks. Of course with some trees oddly shaped trunks are it's normal
growing habit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyline_australis

Old 17-10-2017, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 13:44:52 +0100, Fulhamboy70
wrote:

Photos added

|Filename: image1.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16594|
|Filename: image2.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16595|
|Filename: image3.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16596|
|Filename: image4.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16597|

That's a very young specimen with a long way to grow... its trunk
doesn't look at all oddly configured... I'd leave it alone. With
plants don't look for perfection... an imperfect growth habit is more
interesting, adds character... a perfect textbook configuration is
what anyone can have and is boring. If all people were alike life
would be extremely boring.
Old 17-10-2017, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 13:44:52 +0100, Fulhamboy70
wrote:

Photos added

--------+

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?attachmentid=
1
|6594| Filename: image2.jpeg
| | Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?attachmentid=

1
|6595| Filename: image3.jpeg
| | Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?attachmentid=

1
|6596| Filename: image4.jpeg
| | Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?attachmentid=

1
|6597|

--------+

That's a very young specimen with a long way to grow... its
trunk doesn't look at all oddly configured... I'd leave it
alone. With plants don't look for perfection... an
imperfect growth habit is more interesting, adds
character... a perfect textbook configuration is what
anyone can have and is boring. If all people were alike
life would be extremely boring.

You live in a ****ing housing project, Shelly, so STFU
with your lame advice! LOL
Old 18-10-2017, 05:39 PM
Registered User

Many thanks for the replies, we will leave it and see what happens
Old 18-10-2017, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 17:39:13 +0100, Fulhamboy70
wrote:

Many thanks for the replies, we will leave it and see what happens

Looked like it's doing fine... make sure it recieves proper watering
for your climate, and I'd pound in some fertilizing sticks around it.