Old 10-08-2020, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Agapanthus , Sap causing itchy rash !

I didn't realise Agapanthas is rated as a highly poisonous plant.It had been planted 20 yes ago and not pruned
It's over taken so I decided with good tips from a magazine how to prune back. No mention of being
Poisonous. I was wearing proper protection including heavy duty gauntlet gloves,

I have developed an excruciating pinful rash red spots developing into blister along I side both
Arms and legs. Three days om still hurting and weeping . Treatment hydrocortisone cream
Calamine lotion to cool . I will give gp a call because I feel completely without any backup
Meeka,
Old 10-08-2020, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/9/2020 5:46 PM, wrote:
I didn't realise Agapanthas is rated as a highly poisonous plant.It had been planted 20 yes ago and not pruned
It's over taken so I decided with good tips from a magazine how to prune back. No mention of being
Poisonous. I was wearing proper protection including heavy duty gauntlet gloves,

I have developed an excruciating pinful rash red spots developing into blister along I side both
Arms and legs. Three days om still hurting and weeping . Treatment hydrocortisone cream
Calamine lotion to cool . I will give gp a call because I feel completely without any backup
Meeka,

According to Wikipedia, Agapanthus is only mildly allergenic. However,
that does not mean some individuals might be far more sensitive than the
average.

I have a bed of Agapanthus that must be over 40 years old. I cut out
the stalks of faded blooms and never have a problem. On the other hand,
I do avoid contact with the sap since it can be messy.

When you go to your physician, carefully take a piece of a leaf or stalk
with you. Your physician might more easily prescribe relief for you
with a sample or even determine that something else is the cause of your
rash.

Note that a rash on one side of the body with blisters and severe pain
is also a symptom of shingles. A vaccination against shingles does not
guarantee you will not get it. I have had both the Zostavax and
Shingrix vaccinations. Two years after the latter, I developed a very
mild case of shingles: rashes with blisters on my right shoulder, right
hip, and right ankle that sometimes itched but no pain. It came back
again about a month or two ago with only two blisters on my right hip;
it is already gone.

--
David E. Ross
That Flag:

A TV ad in support of re-electing President Trump and
First Policy. In the 1930s, "America First" was the
name of a movement in the United States that supported
Hitler and the Nazis.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" writes:

On 8/9/2020 5:46 PM, wrote:
I didn't realise Agapanthas is rated as a highly poisonous plant.It had been planted 20 yes ago and not pruned
It's over taken so I decided with good tips from a magazine how to prune back. No mention of being
Poisonous. I was wearing proper protection including heavy duty gauntlet gloves,

I have developed an excruciating pinful rash red spots developing into blister along I side both
Arms and legs. Three days om still hurting and weeping . Treatment hydrocortisone cream
Calamine lotion to cool . I will give gp a call because I feel completely without any backup
Meeka,

According to Wikipedia, Agapanthus is only mildly allergenic. However,
that does not mean some individuals might be far more sensitive than the
average.

I saw the same thing, but a few google searched turned up claims
of being extremely poisonous including to dogs and cats.

I have a bed of Agapanthus that must be over 40 years old. I cut out
the stalks of faded blooms and never have a problem. On the other hand,
I do avoid contact with the sap since it can be messy.

I'm not familiar with the plant, but the pretty blue appeals to me.
Maybe I should stick with Delphinium.

When you go to your physician, carefully take a piece of a leaf or stalk
with you. Your physician might more easily prescribe relief for you
with a sample or even determine that something else is the cause of your
rash.

Note that a rash on one side of the body with blisters and severe pain
is also a symptom of shingles. A vaccination against shingles does not
guarantee you will not get it. I have had both the Zostavax and
Shingrix vaccinations. Two years after the latter, I developed a very
mild case of shingles: rashes with blisters on my right shoulder, right
hip, and right ankle that sometimes itched but no pain. It came back
again about a month or two ago with only two blisters on my right hip;
it is already gone.

Good thinking (as usual).

--
Dan Espen
Old 13-11-2020, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

I had the same experience with the sap from the agapanthus. I cut it back on Sunday just gone and on the Monday I had a slight rash and by Tuesday it turned into a red raw itching rash . It was up my arms, chest, neck , face and scalp. Then over the period of the day it travelled to my back and down my legs . By the end of the night my tongue was swelling, I had a high temp and felt very nauseous..I seeked medical advice and was given antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream . It us day 3 on these and I feel better . The itching is still there but nowhere as intense. I have been told it takes 14/28 days to heal.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...sh-110647-.htm