Old 12-05-2003, 11:44 AM
William McHarg

Default Seedling trees

Hi,

I have a big 'ole walnut tree in my yard, its great. I was mowing,
and I noticed what looks like a little tiny walnut tree seedling
around the base of it.

I decided not to just mow it down this time..

Is it possible to pot that little guy and let it get bigger and then
transplant it?

I know at 50 I will never live to see it get the size of the other
one, but who the heck plants trees for themselves, anyway?

Mac
Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Marley1372

Walnuts have a tap root, so it's best to put them in their intended location
while they are still small.

once you dig the seedlings up, thier taproot will be broken, dont worry about
it.

Toad
Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
jammer

On Mon, 12 May 2003 05:33:11 -0500, William McHarg
wrote:

Hi,

I have a big 'ole walnut tree in my yard, its great. I was mowing,
and I noticed what looks like a little tiny walnut tree seedling
around the base of it.

I decided not to just mow it down this time..

Is it possible to pot that little guy and let it get bigger and then
transplant it?

I know at 50 I will never live to see it get the size of the other
one, but who the heck plants trees for themselves, anyway?

Mac

If you save this sappling, be careful not to get bitten by the bug I
got bitten by a couple of weeks ago.

I have always pulled the baby trees like weeds. Well, i pulled one one
day and there was an acorn attached, and although i knew it came from
my trees, it just looked so cool. So i put it in a pot. Then i found
another little tree and was curious what was at the root end, so i
pulled it carefully. A pecan! Squirrals grow thier own food ! So i
potted it. Then out by the pond i found this little fern looking thing
and realized it was a baby mimosa tree. I have it planted in the yard
elsewhere with a border around it. Not sure if i want that or the
pecan tree there. The maple is "just in case someone wants
it".....dumb, who will want it.... There are two other little trees
and although i want to see what is attached to the roots, do i dare? I
might get bitten again!!