Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 PM
JNJ

Default Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It

So I guess all you really need is a couple of cases of beer, a big party,
and an " out of order" sign for the bathroom. ;-)

ROTFLMAO

Old 16-05-2003, 04:44 PM
JNJ

Don't want to get into a ****ing match.

Bad pun, Frank.

But in my personal experience, mine doesn't work.
But, then, I am not a dog. Perhaps you can research the difference.

Would
be highly useful to herbicide manufacturers looking for organic solutions

LOL. I'm assuming the urine just burns it out. To be honest, I've never
really given it much thought.

James

Old 16-05-2003, 06:20 PM
simy1

"Chip G." wrote in message . ..
In article , JNJ
wrote:

1) RoundUp -- In areas where you cannot spray, use a paintbrush to apply it
directly to the leaves.

Roundup will kill anything it touches, right? I'd like to find a spray
that can be broadly applied to large areas without killing all the
grass, trees, or shrubs.

do as you are advised. I was in the hospital three times until I
discovered the merits of applying Roundup with a small paintbrush. You
only need to touch one leaf to kill the whole plant. Trust me. The
other thing that helps is whacking all the large vines in your
neighborhood (say, within 200 yds of your home). a nice little cut at
the base of the vine will do. That will shut off the sources of seeds.
If you cut a large vine on your property, you will have billions
suckers. Mow them where possible, or roundup them.
Old 16-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Stephen M. Henning

JNJ wrote:
1) RoundUp -- In areas where you cannot spray, use a paintbrush to apply it
directly to the leaves.

Roundup will kill anything it touches, right? I'd like to find a spray
that can be broadly applied to large areas without killing all the
grass, trees, or shrubs.

A standard technique to apply roundup selectively is to put on a pair of
long rubber gloves and then cover them with a pair of short cotton
gloves. Then apply the roundup to one of the cotton gloves and run the
glove over the poison ivy/oak. This will apply a nice coat of roundup
to the plant. Care needs to be taken regarding any dripping from the
glove. You can use the second cotton glove to help catch any drips.
This technique is also used for bind weed, morning glory and other nasty
weeds that grow in areas with plants that you don't want to kill. It
was successfully used by a horticulturist at Longwood gardens to get
bindweed out of his asparagus bed.

With poison ivy, the leaves are waxy and are difficult to kill. Also,
if the poison ivy has grown to the top of nearby trees, it is even
harder to kill. The standard recommendation is to cut off the top part
of the vine, say above 3 or 4 feet. Then apply roundup thoroughly to the
lower leaves.

I was looking at the label of the newer roundup that "kills weeds in 24
hours" and it is just the old roundup applied at twice the old rate. I
always do that anyway on poison ivy.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
Old 17-05-2003, 01:08 PM
MacTech

"Chip G." wrote
On my recently purchased property I have a huge poison ivy problem.

You can also get rid of it by putting the lights out. Get some tar
paper, heavy thick black paper that is put under shingles. Cover the
PI up and wait. The tar paper will block light and will heat up the
ground to burn the roots out. This works well around trees because it
won't kill the trees or shrubs but it will kill the grass. Use Round
up on the grass and then resead in the fall.

Randy

Share the view.
http://ruralroute2.com
Old 17-05-2003, 03:20 PM
JNJ

Wow. I have a hoary PI vine growing up one particular tree. It's
maybe 3/4" to 1" thick. I've been chasing ground-level PI around with
roundup for a while, and was going to whack the main vine today.
Since it's raining, I didnt' get to it.

By what you say, it almost sounds like I'd be better to let the main
vine grow, so as not to force suckers all over the place...

Cut the vine just above a few stems of leaves. RoundUp those leaves and the
top of the vine. You don't want that puppy setting seed -- any suckers it
sends out can be mowed down or hit with RoundUp again later.

James