Old 15-05-2003, 10:32 PM
saabdued

Default Moss - 2 Questions

Hello. I would appreciate some assistance. I live on Long Island, in zone 7.
I have a brick walkway and brick patio, both in full sun. Moss has been
growing between the bricks. My wife and I rather like the look. Whenever
grass or weeds begin to take between the bricks, I use Roundup, as I don't
want them growing there for the way it looks, and so that their growth and
roots don't upset the lay of the bricks. I understand that moss doesn't have
true roots like other plants. Will the moss growth eventually push the
bricks aside, or don't I have anything to worry about in that regard for
some time? I suppose that if it eventually gets bad I can use Roundup at a
later date to kill or control it.

Moss seems to do rather well in our yard, in both full and part shade.
Again, we rather like the look. Is the abundance of moss growth indicative
though of any soil, moisture, or any other problem we should be aware of?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Old 15-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 15 May 2003 21:28:53 GMT, "saabdued"
wrote:

[...]

Moss is very common here in E TN (zone 7). It grows exceptionally
well in shady, moist, acidic areas. Our pond has a stone walkways
around the perimeter and moss is growing in the cracks. I pull out
the weeds by hand to keep chemicals out of the pond (which could kill
the fish). Anyway, you might do a pH test on your soil, and apply
lime if needed. I don't think the moss will move the bricks, but
rather help keep the soil from washing away.
Old 15-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Bill and Nancy Weiler

saabdued wrote:

I understand that moss doesn't have true roots like other plants. Will the moss growth eventually push the
bricks aside,

I've not heard of moss being able to move bricks or rocks. You might
find, however, that the moss might begin to grow ON the bricks.

Moss seems to do rather well in our yard, in both full and part shade.
Again, we rather like the look. Is the abundance of moss growth indicative
though of any soil, moisture, or any other problem we should be aware of?

Mosses like damp somewhat shady areas--emphasis on the word "damp".
Mosses are attractive little plants--some species more than others.

Bill

--
Bill and Nancy Weiler
Tony, Wisconsin
Old 15-05-2003, 11:44 PM
David J. Bockman

The moss shouldn't affect the lay of the bricks, in fact I've never seen it
happen.

Moss lawns, to my tastes, are wonderful. Usually moss 'taking over' an
established lawn is indicative of too much shade and a slowly acidifying
soil.

Dave

news

Old 19-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Trish K.

I think you have moss because you use lots of fertilizers and water
frequently. Even if the moss were to accumulate to where it was very
clumpy, you would kick it over and say, 'oh my isn't that something'. As
for an indication of your soil, I wonder if you laid the bricks in sand
or in the soil. Long Island has what for soil? Sandy loam I think, was
all potato farms there, like here on Cape Cod. (I am worried about my
moss bed. We have a new moth they call the "munch worm". I need those
leaves for my shade.)

TK

wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM
Moldy moss questions J Fortuna Orchids 6 09-08-2004 09:57 PM
Questions about Java Moss Gerry Freshwater Aquaria Plants 19 27-01-2004 06:09 AM