Old 17-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Gerry

Default Questions about Java Moss

I have a 90 gallon that I got 2nd-hand complete with 3 gigantic java ferns
and some amazon sword.

I've been reading that java moss looks pretty on logs, and I was thinking of
adding some. But many LFS (Toronto/Mississauga - Canada) don't stock it,
and one even suggested that it's a pest and pernicious weed. Should I be
rethinking my desire to introduce java moss?

Gerry

Old 17-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Dinky

"Gerry" gerry @ howlett.ca wrote in message
. ..
I have a 90 gallon that I got 2nd-hand complete with 3 gigantic java ferns
and some amazon sword.

I've been reading that java moss looks pretty on logs, and I was thinking

of
adding some. But many LFS (Toronto/Mississauga - Canada) don't stock it,
and one even suggested that it's a pest and pernicious weed. Should I be
rethinking my desire to introduce java moss?

Gerry

I agree that it looks fabulous on a hunk of bogwood, but, in the right
conditions, it grows like wildfire. Be prepared to trim it frequently. As
far as a way to acquire it, try online retailers, or better, make a new post
in this group, or *.marketplace and beg for some! g If you're willing to
wait a couple weeks *I* could send you some, I recently removed it from all
but the 75 and keep it trimmed pretty hard. g

billy

Old 19-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Rick

"Gerry" gerry @ howlett.ca wrote in message
. ..
I have a 90 gallon that I got 2nd-hand complete with 3 gigantic java ferns
and some amazon sword.

I've been reading that java moss looks pretty on logs, and I was thinking

of
adding some. But many LFS (Toronto/Mississauga - Canada) don't stock it,
and one even suggested that it's a pest and pernicious weed. Should I be
rethinking my desire to introduce java moss?

Gerry

I'm in Winnipeg and I have never seen it in a LFS here. Matter of fact I am
going to a local store today to buy some plants and have a friend that works
there. I will ask him about importing Java Moss. I was also told that it
cannot be imported into Canada. I have 30+ tanks and almost all with the
exception of some of my cichlid tanks have Java Moss in it. It looks great
on your driftwood , is invaluable in tanks containing Corydoras as a
spawning material and removes copious amounts of nitrate from the water.

Rick

Old 19-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Tzeentch

I live in Montreal and I bought my Java Moss right here (at a store called
Aquarius http://www.aquariusweb.qc.ca/), so yes, it can be imported in
Canada. This stuff grows so fast it's about to take over the appartement
over here. I started with a golf ball worth of the stuff, and now it's
covering a small peice of wood so well that I don't see it anymore, plus I
have enough for another tank (the stuff now covers about 20% of all
available area in my 20 gallons).
It is really great plant with almost no needs.

Tz

Old 19-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Harry Muscle

"Gerry" gerry @ howlett.ca wrote in message
. ..
I have a 90 gallon that I got 2nd-hand complete with 3 gigantic java ferns
and some amazon sword.

I've been reading that java moss looks pretty on logs, and I was thinking

of
adding some. But many LFS (Toronto/Mississauga - Canada) don't stock it,
and one even suggested that it's a pest and pernicious weed. Should I be
rethinking my desire to introduce java moss?

Gerry

I originally got some from a PJ Pet Center at Yonge & Eglinton, but that was
years ago. Have you tried calling all the PJs in the area and asking if
they have any?

Harry

Old 22-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Gerry

Thanks all,

After the 1st post suggesting that it's a welcome plant, I badgered the
local Big Al's here in Mississauga, and they confessed to having some in one
of their tanks which they sold me for a nominal amount. It's something that
they say they always have in stock, but simply haven't had for the past
month. Apparently one of their employees grows it at home and hasn't
brought any in recently.

Following a comment at http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/pdubyana.html, I tied
a piece of the clump to some bark. The swordtails are obsessed with it!
Most of the rest is spread thinly across the substrate in one corner, and I
kept a bit in a separate growing tank (just in case the fish eat what I just
installed in their tank). The stuff really does go a long way.

Old 22-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Gail Futoran

"Gerry" gerry @ howlett.ca wrote in message
Thanks all,

After the 1st post suggesting that it's a welcome plant, I

badgered the
local Big Al's here in Mississauga, and they confessed to

having some in one
of their tanks which they sold me for a nominal amount.

It's something that
they say they always have in stock, but simply haven't had

for the past
month. Apparently one of their employees grows it at home

and hasn't
brought any in recently.

[snip]

I really want some Java Moss. The only LFS that normally
carries it says they won't get any until June. Maybe it's
time to consider ordering some online?

Gail

Old 24-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Gerry

Take a look at Billy's 1st reply in this thread. He might be willing to
part with some. Or if you're in the Toronto area, give Big Al's
(Mississauga) a try. they did say they *usually* have some. $2.99/clump.

Old 25-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Robert Flory

MY LFS buys all I can supply. It grows like mad in an overloaded low light
guppy/platty tank. Makes for nice credit and with a 300% markup they make a
nice profit too ;-) Now if they'd just pay for the damn guppies and
platys.

They complain about the commercial stuff that gets shipped in ..its too
pale, mine is nice and green. I use a big ball in the guppy tank as a place
for fry to hang out.

In my other tanks I limit it to a basalt donut in one and a new start on a
chunk of drift wood. Interestingly, the latter colonized from a mass
floating in the tank. Anyone know anything about how it reproduces, outside
of growing huge and spitting?

Bob

Old 25-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Popeye

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:23:09 -0800, "Robert Flory"
wrote:

MY LFS buys all I can supply. It grows like mad in an overloaded low light
guppy/platty tank. Makes for nice credit and with a 300% markup they make a
nice profit too ;-) Now if they'd just pay for the damn guppies and
platys.

snip

Bob

Sure wish I could get some around here. None of the stores carry it
for some reason. If you're intersted in selling me some, send me a pm
with your price.

Brian
ridercycle at hotmail dot com