Old 18-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Trish K.

Default My Cloche

I have a new cloche which is a big improvement over the discarded
windows and bamboo poles I used last year. It is 4 foot tall at the peak
and 6 foot wide with a rear growing area depressed 2 and a half feet. In
the past, I have been shade impaired, but now maybe I can grow things on
levels.

The rear growing area is surrounded by a 3 foot high shelf and allows
for another shelf inside. At night this is covered with a heavy
tarpaulin. The front slanted portion is covered with plastic. When the
sun hit this the temperature rose to 110 degrees inside and I found that
I had to uncover the tarpaulin and open the plastic door flaps. By then
end of the day, though, my weakly seedlings got seriously upright and
seemed more stout. What will future bring? Its fun to lean over the rail
and watch them. I planted three tomato plants in this and come fall I
want to try to ripen the fruit on dry straw. Don't know how this will
work. I hope to have higher shelves added to grow out perennials above
my tomatoes.

TK