Old 26-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Allview

Default North side of house

I'm on the edge of zones 5/6. I can't even get hosta to grow on the north side
of the house. I would like some kind of shrub, but the sun never reaches this
wall. Any ideas?

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 26-01-2003, 03:03 PM
animaux

hydrangea
viburnum
holly
rhododendron

Many, many shrubs will do well in shade.

Old 26-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Iris Cohen

I'm on the edge of zones 5/6. I can't even get hosta to grow on the north
side of the house. I would like some kind of shrub, but the sun never reaches
this wall.

I have grown Taxus xmedia and Taxus cuspidata cultivars successfully in that
location (the usual foundation planting yews). Pachysandra flourishes as a
ground cover. Daffodils bloom about every other year.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-01-2003, 05:43 PM
GrampysGurl

I'm on the edge of zones 5/6. I can't even get hosta to grow on the north side
of the house. I would like some kind of shrub, but the sun never reaches this
wall. Any ideas?

Marilyn in Ohio

I have a mountain laurel and a hydrangea on my north side that do well.
Old 26-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Wendy B G

I'm on the edge of zones 5/6. I can't even get hosta to grow on the north
side
of the house. I would like some kind of shrub, but the sun never reaches
this
wall. Any ideas?

------

Kerria japonica
Japanese Kerria, Rosaceae (Rose) Family

Plant Type Shrub

Hardiness Range: 4B - 9A
Mature Height: 36" to 7' / 90cm to 2.20m
Environment: prefers full shade to partial shade or partial sun; soil
should be moist
Bloom Colors: Yellow, about 1" across

Kerrias are available with both single and double flowers. They are considered
easy to grow. They bloom in spring, then sporadically through the summer.

However, if even hosta won't grow, I would suspect a problem with the soil. You
might want to test the pH, and add compost before planting anything.

Wendy
Wilmington, DE (Zone 7)

Old 26-01-2003, 06:14 PM
J Kolenovsky

Your local native plant chapter is an excellent source of information
and recommendations for you to plant the appropriate plants.
http://groups.msn.com/NativePlantSoc...epage.msnw?pg=
market=3Den-us
http://dir.gardenweb.com/directory/onps1/

Allview wrote:
=

I'm on the edge of zones 5/6. I can't even get hosta to grow on the no=

rth side
of the house. I would like some kind of shrub, but the sun never reach=

es this
wall. Any ideas?
=

Marilyn in Ohio

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 26-01-2003, 07:04 PM
bryan lafleur

Jeff, where do live in central west Texas. What you can grow in Texas
is very dependent on what part of the state you live, not just the
zone, because of the extreme difference in humidity and soils.

In general, all of the hollies available at local nurseries do well on
northern exposures, unless you live in a rural area prone to
grasshopper infestations. Nandinas also do well. Spring bouquet
viburnum, as well as other viburnums will work.

For other shrubs, it will depend on your area. Perennials are even
more dependent on area. There are not many flowering perennials that
do well in shady areas in the western 2/3's of Texas, but there are a
few.

Bryan
Old 05-02-2003, 04:54 PM
D Kat

Something doesn't seem quite right if you cannot even get hosta to grow on
the north side of your house. I'm on Long Island so I have a somewhat
milder climate than you have but I have hostas growing in complete shade.
Might this be a soil or pest issue? Different hostas do better in different
lighting conditions so you might have hostas that are on the "almost liking
sun" side but even then they should do well on a north wall. How do you
feel about ferns? Some of the plants suggested by other posters
(rhodies/azaleas) also have a range of light that they flourish in. You
might try looking in your local area for plants that you like that are doing
well in the same location/setting. I would still though look into what is
going on that the hostas aren't working ... kinda like a canary in a
mine.......

Old 06-02-2003, 06:53 AM
rosemarie face

I'm in z5 and have two Forsythias and a Rose rugosa growing on the north
side of my house. They're growning like crazy.
Rosie z5 Indiana

[IMG] code is On

What to plant on North side of fence CT United Kingdom 1 23-02-2012 10:28 AM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 10:34 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM