Old 15-06-2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I split a Lilac Bush into multiple plants?

I have two large (8' dia, 5' tall) lilac bushes that have flowered since
the year we put them in, they are larger than the area supports and
we've never pruned them.

I don't know if I can uproot them, split the root ball and then make two
(or more) viable plants out of them.

Any one do this or know if it will work without killing them?

Thanks.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Old 15-06-2007, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Leythos expounded:

I have two large (8' dia, 5' tall) lilac bushes that have flowered since
the year we put them in, they are larger than the area supports and
we've never pruned them.

I don't know if I can uproot them, split the root ball and then make two
(or more) viable plants out of them.

Any one do this or know if it will work without killing them?

Thanks.

Well, you can take suckers from the base and put them where you want,
they'll grow fairly quickly. Why not prune the main plant to fit the
space? Lilacs tolerate pruning very well.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 15-06-2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Leythos expounded:

I have two large (8' dia, 5' tall) lilac bushes that have flowered since
the year we put them in, they are larger than the area supports and
we've never pruned them.

I don't know if I can uproot them, split the root ball and then make two
(or more) viable plants out of them.

Any one do this or know if it will work without killing them?

Thanks.

Well, you can take suckers from the base and put them where you want,
they'll grow fairly quickly. Why not prune the main plant to fit the
space? Lilacs tolerate pruning very well.

That is true. The bush can also be split into sections with a spade
while in the ground (perhaps into quarters), then the parent plant
will be minimally disturbed. Lilac should be pruned of old wood every
year for a healthier plant and better flowering. If lilac is not
flowering well it can benefit from root pruning.

http://www.arcamax.com/gardening/s-156685-111528

Old 15-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leythos View Post
I have two large (8' dia, 5' tall) lilac bushes that have flowered since
the year we put them in, they are larger than the area supports and
we've never pruned them.

I don't know if I can uproot them, split the root ball and then make two
(or more) viable plants out of them.

Any one do this or know if it will work without killing them?

Thanks.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(remove 999 for proper email address)
I wouldn't do that. If you want to reduce the size of the tree then prune it. If you want to get another lilac tree then semi-ripe cuttings are the answer, they are not difficult. Try this page for more info on lilac trees:
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantf...-syringa_2.asp
Good luck.
Old 15-06-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
says...
Ann wrote:
Leythos expounded:

[...]

The plants, now 4 years old, have flowered since the year they were
planted. I didn't prune them because I ran out of time and the
directions say to prune late in the year.

I have other plants that spread, so they can be split, and from above
ground it appeared that the Lilac bush could have the same type of root
structure. Splitting it seemed like a good idea, pruning at the same
time, to get more plants, not have to trim it back to harm, and get what
I want.

Old 15-06-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Leythos expounded:

The plants, now 4 years old, have flowered since the year they were
planted. I didn't prune them because I ran out of time and the
directions say to prune late in the year.

No, no, no, don't prune late in the year, you'll cut off next year's
flowers. Prune right after blooming, like now.
Old 15-06-2007, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Leythos expounded:

So, would now be a good time to split the bush in two parts at the
roots?

Provided you're willing to be dilligent about watering, yes.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked

[IMG] code is On

LILAC BUSH IN INDIANA Rodney Smith Texas 4 02-08-2005 06:43 PM
A dose of Epsom salts can help lilac bush to flower (plantman article) Earl@Greenwood Gardening 1 27-07-2005 03:46 AM
Lilac bush limey Gardening 7 15-05-2005 10:04 PM
Potted Lilac Bush Question Suzie-Q Gardening 3 19-06-2004 03:03 PM
Lilac Bush bthache Gardening 6 23-05-2003 05:56 AM