Old 05-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Earl@Greenwood

Default A dose of Epsom salts can help lilac bush to flower (plantman article)

The Plant Man column
for publication week of 07/10/05 - 07/16/05
(760 words)
###

The Plant Man
by Steve Jones
www.landsteward.org

A dose of Epsom salts can help lilac bush to flower

Time for more questions and comments from readers.

QUESTION: "I have a lilac bush that is about ten years old and about
five to five-and-a-half feet tall. I think it had one flower a few
years ago. The main trunk is about one inch in diameter. It is situated
quite close to an evergreen tree. What is wrong with this bush that it
won't flower? Is there anything I can do to promote flowers for next
year?" - Helen Eckert

ANSWER: Try putting one tablespoon of Epsom salts into one gallon of
water. Water the bush with the solution to soaks the roots when dormant
in late October. Then do it again just before it leafs out in the
spring. I do this on a number of plants to force blooms. Let me know
your results next season!

QUESTION: "I would like to prevent grass and weeds from growing up
under my new trees I have planted. I don't want to put bark down as I
feel that it looks ugly. My dad has cement blocks surrounding his tree.
A friend of mine has cement laying flat on top of the ground around the
trunk of the tree.

"Is it acceptable to have the cement laying flat on top of the soil?
I know that this will prevent any grass or weeds from growing but will
it rot the roots? I live on a farm and have a rather large area with
a lot of trees that we have planted. The grass is taking over and it
would cost a fortune to buy fancy blocks to go around all of the trees.
My biggest concern is the safety of the trees and if the cement would
cause problems." - Donna Hallock

ANSWER: This is a new one on me and I have never tried it myself!
However, it would seem that it should not bother the trees at all. You
see a lot of cement around trees in the city. Let's see if any other
readers have tried this solution and what the results were. Send an
e-mail to

QUESTION: "A year ago I purchased some Apache Blackberries. They are
doing great and the bushes are loaded with berries this year. Most of
my plants are starting to sprout new plants at their base. which I
expected. However, most have grown a "stalk" about as big around as my
finger and about four feet high. Are these "suckers" that need to be
trimmed or will these grow into new canes?" - David Krabbe

ANSWER: These are your new fruiting canes for next year so please do
not trim them or you will have no fruit next season! When you harvest
all the berries from the old vines this season, you can cut them off at
the base. When your new canes reach a height of about 5 feet, you may
want to trim the tips to cause them to branch more giving more fruiting
area next season.

Here's an useful tip from Terry Briggs who had read about a
reader's problem with fungus:

"I don't know if this will help your reader's photenia fungus or
not. I had a gardenia that did not respond last year to commercial
fungicides. This year almost the entire plant was covered with black
spotting that looked like dirt. I read that aphids chew the plant sap &
the resultant sticky substance can cause a mold. So I treated with a
soap & garlic home mixture which worked for the aphids but didn't do
much for the mold.

I then soaked the plant with a nicotine tea and repeated this two more
times. Every remaining leaf, the stems, the branches & the root area
were thoroughly treated. With all the rain we are having the gardenia
has grown by leaps & bounds & no sign of mold as yet.

Here is the recipe: (It is toxic. Keep away from children, pets, edible
plants, petunias or nightshade
family plants which are susceptible to tobacco mosaic virus.)

Soak 1 cup of cigarette butts in one gallon of warm water for several
hours or overnight. Add 1/4 teaspoon dishwashing liquid. Strain the
mixture. Spray leaves well, top & bottom surfaces, the base of the
plant & pour over the root area, every other day for a week." -
Terry Briggs

The Plant Man is here to help. Send questions about trees, shrubs and
landscaping to
For resources and additional
information, or to subscribe to Steve's free e-mailed newsletter, go
www.landsteward.org

Old 27-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Suzy O

Before you add anything to the soil, I'm wondering about whether you've
pruned your lilac or not. Around these parts (Wisconsin, Zone 5), pruning
in spring before lilacs usually flower is the most common reason for not
getting flowers. The second most common reason is lack of sufficient sun.
If neither addresses the no flowers problem, then have your soil tested
professionally to see whether it needs magnesium or sulfur (the main
components in epsom salts).
Good luck@
Suzy O

"Earl@Greenwood" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Crape Myrtles bloom with a dose of Epsom Salts [email protected] Gardening 0 20-09-2006 03:57 PM
How Often Can I Apply Epsom Salts for Blue Spruce? Tony Sivori Gardening 8 02-08-2004 02:34 PM
[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM