Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Natty_Dread

Default Question about pruning roses

Hi all -- I have two rose bushes in my back yard that likely have been
there for years. When I bought the house in 2000, one whole side of the
yard, including the two rose bushes, was overrun by a huge honeysuckle which
we finally cut down last summer (or cut back, I should say, since we can't
seem to kill it!). Since the roses were mostly covered with honeysuckle
until then, I don't really know what their blooming habits are, but they
needed pruning desperately, so in early March I pruned them way back to bare
canes. Both have leafed out quite nicely, and one of them, which I had
basically cut back to one "Y" cane coming out of the ground, actually has
eight buds about to bloom (I'm totally psyched about this, because I don't
think I've seen a total of eight blooms in the entire three years we've been
in the house!). However, to date the other bush has only produced leaves
and there is no sign of buds that I can identify. Might this indicate that
this particular bush is the type that blooms on the previous year's growth?
If so, does that mean I have to wait another year before I see blooms? They
are definitely two different cultivars, as one has large, elongated leaves
and the other has small, almost dainty leaves. Also, I fed them last
summer and fall; should I feed them now, or wait until later in the season?
Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA - Zone 7

Old 22-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Cass

In article , Natty_Dread
wrote:

[...]

It might, depending on where you are located. Some roses come out much
later than others and some really need heat to bloom. In addition, some
classes of roses are know to resent pruning. Baby it along and see what
happens. Maybe it's a really old one, like a tea, which can skip most
of the spring flush if pruned hard.

If so, does that mean I have to wait another year before I see blooms?

If it blooms on old wood only, you will need to wait until there is
some old wood. It isn't only older, once blooming classes of roses
that do this -- some climbing sports of hybrid tea and floribundas are
known to bloom on old wood. Makes pruning much more scientific, i.e.
you only want to prune off old, unproductive wood.

They
are definitely two different cultivars, as one has large, elongated leaves
and the other has small, almost dainty leaves. Also, I fed them last
summer and fall; should I feed them now, or wait until later in the season?

Feed them now. If you have harsh winter, fall feeding is problematic
because it generates new tender growth. You want your rose ready to go
dormant when the really good cold weather hits. August might be around
the latest you want to feed, but someone who lives in your zone could
give you a specific.

Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!

Sure. Take pictures so we can enjoy them too. ;~)

--
-=-
Cass
Old 24-05-2003, 05:56 PM