Old 24-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Lorne

Default Newbie question - perennial problem.

I bought a new house late last fall - the old one had pavement and grass,
this one has plants that grow and apparently thrive. I'm just now
getting to figuring out what the heck we have in the yard. One perennial
isn't looking good. Here are some pictures

http://www.members.shaw.ca/r262/Picture%20001.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/r262/Picture%20002.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/r262/Picture%20004.jpg

A full shot, and a couple of closeups.

I'm guessing drought damage - we had a hot dry summer with incredible
moisture problems (watering bans, showering bans, etc) and I can't vouch
for how much the plant was watered during the summer, after we bought but
before we took possession of the house. So on one side, nice and green,
on the other brown and brittle.

What is the recommended course of action to repair this? I'm game for
anything - in a learning mode.

BTW, this bush/tree/shrub has a name, which is...?
--
Lorne Sundby
Old 24-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Susan Fein

x-no-archive: yes

BTW, this bush/tree/shrub has a name, which is...?
--
Lorne Sundby

Arborvitae, looks like an emerald (brighter green) arborvitae. It's an
evergreen shrub, though, not a perennial. perennials are plants that die back
in winter and reappear the next spring.

Looks like it got baked and not watered enough, since they do fine in full sun,
otherwise.

I don't think it'll regrow the dead parts.

Good news is that they're inexpensive to replace.

Susan
Old 25-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Lorne

And aside from the good suggestion that this may not have had enough
water, I also see that kind of damage from road salt spray or winter
freezing. Since I have no idea where you are, these other causes may
be way off the mark...

Probably winter freezing - I am in Edmonton Canada, far from temperate.

So, dig it up and plant something else. This is a very very sunny area -
south exposure, always hot and dry. Given the location and exposure, are
there other choices that are reasonable considerations?

--
Lorne Sundby
Old 25-05-2003, 03:32 AM
montana

In article ,
Lorne wrote:

So, dig it up and plant something else. This is a very very sunny area -
south exposure, always hot and dry. Given the location and exposure, are
there other choices that are reasonable considerations?

You could also prune out the bad part and put another one in next to it.
;-)

I frequently take a look at what is doing well in my neighbors' yards,
determine what I like and what would please me aesthetically & then go
to a local nursery and ask a lot of questions. I also love looking
through books at the library for inspiration.

[IMG] code is On

Perennial help becky95 United Kingdom 1 31-03-2009 08:12 PM
Pruning Perennial Plants Question Martin United Kingdom 3 28-09-2007 02:18 PM
Favorite perennial vines? Elizabeth North Carolina 13 08-03-2003 02:08 AM
Perennial questions Jayebea Gardening 6 29-01-2003 06:46 AM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 09:48 PM