Old 27-05-2003, 07:32 PM
michelle

Default where can I order helpful insect eggs or larva

Hi i have a broblem with insects of the bad sort like aphids and some
strange red mites But I don't know if the mites are bad
I like gardening with my son and daughter and they want to use natural
pest control . and besides my daughter sheila likes lady bugs. where
on line or here can i find some one who sells eggs or larva.
I also need to know if i get praying mantids wil it be a waste of time
getting lady bugs adn such
thanks I love thhis news group
michelle
"Love is the water in the garden of life"

Old 27-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Doug Kanter

Michelle, take a look at www.burpee.com. I'm quite sure they sell these
things, and they ship quickly, too, assuming it's the right season for
ordering bugs.
-Doug

Old 27-05-2003, 07:56 PM
michelle

thanks I can't wait to try it my tomatoes are indebted to you forever
:-)

Old 27-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Doug Kanter

Michelle:
Another thing that works is to make a strong "tea" using red pepper flakes,
the kind you sprinkle on pizza. Simmer (with the kitchen fan on and windows
open) until it turns color, and sniffing it makes you gag. Strain through a
coffee filter and put it in a spray bottle. This will raise hell with lots
of nasty bugs. Just don't overdo it. Tomatoes need to good bugs for
pollination.
-Doug

Old 27-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Doug Kanter

To complete the thought, just don't overdo it (also)...because at least in
my experience, it's rare for an otherwise healthy plant to be done in by
bugs. I've had 1/3 of the leaves on a tomato plant eaten by cutworms, and
I've still gotten enough tomatoes to feed a small African country.

Old 27-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

http://cipm.ncsu.edu/ent/biocontrol/
http://www.anbp.org/
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
michelle

On Tue, 27 May 2003 19:17:44 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

To complete the thought, just don't overdo it (also)...because at least in
my experience, it's rare for an otherwise healthy plant to be done in by
bugs. I've had 1/3 of the leaves on a tomato plant eaten by cutworms, and
I've still gotten enough tomatoes to feed a small African country.

Hi cool Maybe we could get a food fund startted together He HE he :-)
.... Really This whole thing is a learnign experiance for my children I
want them to respect life and have the experiance of taking care of
somthing adn helpping it thrive. I also want them to learn how each
thing in life is important even if it is an ugly bug My son is a
first grader and he learned next to xero science in school to me that
is sad And my daughter is going into kindergarden I want her to
learn some neat things to tell her new friends when she starts school.
SSo far they are having a ball with the whole garden thing and really
enjoy cultivating it and making somthing grow and when it is all done
they will have pretty flowers and their favorite fruit / veggie to eat
I will try the peppre flakes too sounds yummie ... he he he thanks
Old 29-05-2003, 08:20 PM
susabean

http://www.wormman.com/beneficialinsects.htm

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

---