Old 30-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Celia 2324

Default Rhubarb

I am having trouble with something eating my rhubarb leaves, is there anything
I can spray on them little creatures to stop them from having lunch on my
plants.

Celia
Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Audrey Copperwheat

Celia 2324 wrote:

I am having trouble with something eating my rhubarb leaves, is there anything
I can spray on them little creatures to stop them from having lunch on my
plants.

Celia

hmmm. not much eats rhubarb, do you know what the "creature" is? I get
the occasional slug, but they're easily dispatched (knock 'em off and
stomp 'em

Otherwise, I'd try my "cure-all": mix about 1/4 tsp dish soap in a
spray bottle full of water and spray the "creatures". Takes care of
lots of pests and your rhubarb will still be completely safe to eat.
Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Joelle

am having trouble with something eating my rhubarb leaves, is there anything
I can spray on them little creatures to stop them from having lunch on my
plants.

Why do you care if they are eating the leaves. You just need the stems. By
the time I harvest my ruhbarb, the bugs have had a field day but the stems are
still good.

Joelle
If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow
Father Mike
Old 15-01-2004, 04:12 AM
SAS567

Anyone have any idea what causes rhubarb to be excessively sour?

Thanks!

I have a green variety and Canadian Red and every piece of rhubarb I have ever
eaten is sour. I have a lot of good, sweet recipes for rhubarb.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5) with a foot of new snow and temps in the teens.
Old 15-01-2004, 06:12 AM

genetics. they are all sour to one degree or another, but I think calcium may have
something to do with how sour. Valentine is supposed to be less sour than other
varieties (I think). Ingrid

"Dvd" wrote:

Anyone have any idea what causes rhubarb to be excessively sour?

Thanks!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Harvey

"Dvd" wrote:

Anyone have any idea what causes rhubarb to be excessively sour?

I suspect your 'calcium' comment relates to the fact that Rhubarb contains
some oxalic acid (the leaves especially, which is why they are toxic.)
Calcium ions react with oxalic acid to form very insoluble calcium oxalate,
which I vaguely recall is involved in the toxicity mechanism, the oxalate
damages the kidneys. (Reputedly deaths occurred in the UK in world war 2 due
to people eating the leaves. Possibly apocryphal.)

Plant metabolism does howver require some calcium, so just how calcium ions
& oxalic acid co exist is an interesting question. But it clearly could be
related to how sour the plant is. Is the oxalic acid content a significant
contributer to the sourness - I have no idea!

How popular is rhubarb in the USA? Widely eaten & grown in the UK, but far
less on the continent, although you do see it in France some times.

Harvey

Old 15-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Dvd

Thank you for your responses,
The question came to me from a lady who grew the same rhubarb (two
varieties) year after year, but last year it was more than normally sour.

dvd

Old 15-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Oxalates

Old 15-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Harvey

Oxalic acid is sour; *oxalates* would not be surely?

Harvey

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
Oxalates