Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 AM
roseofsharon

Default Cats and the garden.

our neighbors have 6 outdoor cats (more indoor too) and we use citrus
peels under the bushes--it does help. After we juice a bunch of
oranges we put the empty halves out.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:08 AM
John S. DeBoo

My MinPins LOVE to dine on Fillet of Meow, and what they don't catch, I take
care of with the BB gun. Judging by a few of your other responses (some
nasty) you seem to advocate people letting their pets roam free. I love pets
and critters but I also believe that pet owners should be responsible for
them. Since I am unable to track down the owners of the cats that roam my
area, I nail them with a BB gun, not to hurt but to scare and deter (only one
pump on the gun), and the dogs handle the others. Bottom line, no cat problem
in my backyard. Works fine for me.

Cereoid-UR12yo wrote:

It won't work.

Dogs are far too dumb to know how to shoot a BB gun!

John S. DeBoo wrote in message
JNJ wrote:

Ok, I'm looking for a few good solid ways to keep these blasted cats

from
using my beds as a place to "relieve" themselves. I've taken cuttings

from
my roses and tossed down -- there's not enough to go around and they

just
don't last forever. I'd prefer not to put chicken wire under the

mulch.

Any other suggestions?

James

BB guns and dogs make great cat deterants!

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 01-06-2003, 11:56 PM

I would sure like to know where it is illegal to trap animals on your own property
and turn them over to the correct humane organization. I am not saying dump the cat
in the country. I am saying take them to the humane society ... a cat in my yard is
either lost or wild and the only way to find the proper owner is at the humane
society. Feral cats are a health problem to everyone and especially to normally
homebound cats.
a quick google for connecticut trapping cats brought up a load of references to
people being PAID to trap cats and bring them into shelters.
including this one. http://home.attbi.com/~bcc/Trapping_TEAM.html
none of them mention jail time and charges of theft. trapping in somebody elses yard
could be construed as theft, but when they wander into my yard, they are feral.
And jail time???? now that is really funny. Got cats?
Ingrid

(GrampysGurl) wrote:
trap them and take em to the humane society. let their owners pay to get em
back and maybe they wont let them outside. Ingrid

I say it every time I see this, make sure you know your local laws, here it
would net you jail time and charges of theft of personal property.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 PM
LeeAnne

www.gardeners.com click on "Pest Control" then right on the first page
you'll notice a nice product called the cat-scat mat (or something like
that) -- nice little plastic mats w/spikes you can put down in the garden.
I use them to keep the locals from hanging around under a bird feeder that's
in the middle of my garden - can't pop up between the plants and nab a
birdie.

I like them. Just my opinion - I have nothing to do w/the company that
sells them.

LeeAnne