Old 31-05-2003, 12:44 AM
JNJ

Default Cats and the garden.

Ok, I'm looking for a few good solid ways to keep these blasted cats from
using my beds as a place to "relieve" themselves. I've taken cuttings from
my roses and tossed down -- there's not enough to go around and they just
don't last forever. I'd prefer not to put chicken wire under the mulch.

Any other suggestions?

James

Old 31-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Like I said before, cover the area with gravel or coarse bark mulch and they
will stop.

If you make the soil like a litter box, the cats will use it as one.

Old 31-05-2003, 01:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

JNJ wrote:

Ok, I'm looking for a few good solid ways to keep these blasted cats from
using my beds as a place to "relieve" themselves. I've taken cuttings from
my roses and tossed down -- there's not enough to go around and they just
don't last forever. I'd prefer not to put chicken wire under the mulch.

Any other suggestions?

James

BB guns and dogs make great cat deterants!

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 31-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Travis

JNJ wrote:
Ok, I'm looking for a few good solid ways to keep these blasted cats
from using my beds as a place to "relieve" themselves. I've taken
cuttings from my roses and tossed down -- there's not enough to go
around and they just don't last forever. I'd prefer not to put
chicken wire under the mulch.

Any other suggestions?

Cats prefer dry places to urinate and defecate, so keep one place dry where
it doesn't matter and keep all other places damp. A small sand box out of
the way would prolly work best. I don't think anything will stop male cats
from marking.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 31-05-2003, 03:32 AM

trap them and take em to the humane society. let their owners pay to get em back and
maybe they wont let them outside. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 31-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Nonya

Here, Here...I am totally behind you on this one. I'm sick and tired of the
neighbors letting their dogs and cats run loose. Animals that I know aren't
strays! I recently built a trap to catch the rabbit that has been eating my
beans. Maybe I will try some domesticated beasts next. Good luck on your
dilemma.

wrote in message
trap them and take em to the humane society. let their owners pay to get

em back and
maybe they wont let them outside. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

It won't work.

Dogs are far too dumb to know how to shoot a BB gun!

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

What a bitch!!!

Maybe somebody ought to trap you and take you to the humane society and have
you euthanized!!

wrote in message
trap them and take em to the humane society. let their owners pay to get

em back and
maybe they wont let them outside. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Another feral bitch!

If they caught your mother for being a stray, you wouldn't even be here!

On second thought, that's not such a bad idea!

wrote in message
trap them and take em to the humane society. let their owners pay to

get
em back and
maybe they wont let them outside. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"JNJ" wrote:

Ok, I'm looking for a few good solid ways to keep these blasted cats from
using my beds as a place to "relieve" themselves. I've taken cuttings from
my roses and tossed down -- there's not enough to go around and they just
don't last forever. I'd prefer not to put chicken wire under the mulch.

Any other suggestions?

Motion-detector sprinklers (batterey operated detector) aimed at
the beds

chicken wire OVER the mulch.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
kate

JNJ wrote:

Ok, I'm looking for a few good solid ways to keep these blasted cats from
using my beds as a place to "relieve" themselves. I've taken cuttings from
my roses and tossed down -- there's not enough to go around and they just
don't last forever. I'd prefer not to put chicken wire under the mulch.

Any other suggestions?

James

Grow catnip. They'll spend time in the garden, but they'll get a
different kind of 'relief.' Mine never use the garden, they go for the
new trees I've planted.

Kate
Old 31-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

"Cereoid-UR12yo" writes:
Maybe somebody ought to trap you and take you to the humane society and have
you euthanized!!

yes, but only if she goes abd deficates in her neighbors yard...

You wouldn't do that, would you ingrid?
(owner of^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H owned by 8 *indoor* cats -- the octo-puss)

--
be safe.
flip

Old 31-05-2003, 11:08 PM
John T. Jarrett

Yep, motion detector water sprinklers.

Bonsai group agrees for both cats and squirrels.

From what I hear, deer can get used to it, tho.

Good luck,
John
Austin, Tex

Old 01-06-2003, 02:08 AM
GrampysGurl

Any other suggestions?

James

Buy a dog, they enjoy keeping cats out.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 AM
GrampysGurl

trap them and take em to the humane society. let their owners pay to get em
back and
maybe they wont let them outside. Ingrid

I say it every time I see this, make sure you know your local laws, here it
would net you jail time and charges of theft of personal property.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut