Old 10-04-2004, 04:35 PM
discoverer

Default How to discourage cats from fouling the Garden?

Hi
Just joined the newsgroup, I was looking for some expert help in discouraging Cats from
the Garden. We have a couple who are digging up the bulbs in the borders and digging holes in the
lawn whilst fouling up the area. I have tried various commercial remedies with no luck. I'm hoping
someone out there has an old fashioned remedy which might work. Any help appreciated.
regards
Bill.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Mike

"discoverer" wrote in message
Hi
Just joined the newsgroup, I was looking for some expert help

in discouraging Cats from
the Garden. We have a couple who are digging up the bulbs in the borders

and digging holes in the
lawn whilst fouling up the area. I have tried various commercial remedies

with no luck. I'm hoping
someone out there has an old fashioned remedy which might work. Any help

appreciated.
regards
Bill.

Trap

Skin

Cook

Tastes like Rabbit

Now watch the feathers fly !!!!!! :-))

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Mike

Now watch the feathers fly !!!!!! :-))

Come on Sacha, you're first :-))))))))))))))))))

And then then rest can follow :-))

Waiting !!

Who will be first to take a dig at
me???????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????
??

?

Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Bob Hobden

Bill wrote in message Hi
Just joined the newsgroup, I was looking for some expert help

in discouraging Cats from
the Garden. We have a couple who are digging up the bulbs in the borders

and digging holes in the
lawn whilst fouling up the area. I have tried various commercial remedies

with no luck. I'm hoping
someone out there has an old fashioned remedy which might work. Any help

appreciated.

There is a FAQ file on this if you check.
However I've never seen a cat dig holes in a lawn, they are too lazy for
that. Holes in lawns is normally birds (crows) or even Foxes looking for
worms/grubs. I've seen dogs scrape and foul but only on rough ground.
Unless you have seen a cat digging don't assume it is the culprit, it may be
why your remedies haven't worked, wrong animal.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 10-04-2004, 07:04 PM
discoverer

Ok Guy's,
Thanks for the input, I May have mislead you by saying "digging holes in
lawn" What I observed on the Lawn was the Cat Scratching the grass to cover the offending mess, but
never the less still ruining the lawn by doing so. The damage to the borders and lawn is annoying
but My main concern is my young Grandchildren playing in this area and the obvious health risks.
Regards
Bill

Old 10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:05:54 +0100, "discoverer"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
Hi
Just joined the newsgroup, I was looking for some expert help in discouraging Cats from
the Garden. We have a couple who are digging up the bulbs in the borders and digging holes in the
lawn whilst fouling up the area. I have tried various commercial remedies with no luck. I'm hoping
someone out there has an old fashioned remedy which might work. Any help appreciated.
regards

You could get a cat and keep it litter trained (make sure it has fresh
litter always available and usually they will prefer that to the
garden). The cat will mark its territory with any luck, keeping your
garden cat free.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Old 10-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Peter Crosland

http://www.trap-man.com/ has traps that catch but don't harm the animal.
Then ask the owner to retrieve it. Repeat as necessary.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Bob Hobden

Megan wrote in Message
You could get a cat and keep it litter trained (make sure it has fresh
litter always available and usually they will prefer that to the
garden). The cat will mark its territory with any luck, keeping your
garden cat free.

If you get a pedigree cat then it will already have been litter trained by
it's Mum as they aren't allowed to leave their Mums until 12 weeks old.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
MissJuggs

wrote:

I'm hoping
someone out there has an old fashioned remedy which might work. Any help appreciated.

I have read that fresh orange peel distributed on the area where the
cat likes to dig will discourage them from digging there. They don't
like citrus oils, so you might try eating an orange and just dumping
the peel there. As well as doing the discouraging thing, you might
try leaving an area which is unimportant freshly dug over - which will
train them to us that area, rather than the areas you want them to
avoid.

What has worked for me is to get small pea sticks, or kebab sticks,
and put them in the ground in the area that the cat likes to deposit
in. If you space them closely enough - say 15 cm apart, in a diamond
pattern, the cat will not be able to dig, and will be encouraged to go
somewhere else.

Glenys

--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Mike

You could get a cat and keep it litter trained (make sure it has fresh
litter always available and usually they will prefer that to the
garden). The cat will mark its territory with any luck, keeping your
garden cat free.

Typical cat lovers comment. I suppose that your recommendation for anyone
who doesn't like a cigarette smoked atmosphere, would be to start smoking?

Had it not occurred to you, that the person does not like the vermin in his
garden, so therefore why should he get one?

Why are the cat loving fraternity so bloody thick?

Old 11-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Jack Ouzzi

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:27:28 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

You could get a cat and keep it litter trained (make sure it has fresh
litter always available and usually they will prefer that to the
garden). The cat will mark its territory with any luck, keeping your
garden cat free.

Typical cat lovers comment. I suppose that your recommendation for anyone
who doesn't like a cigarette smoked atmosphere, would be to start smoking?

Had it not occurred to you, that the person does not like the vermin in his
garden, so therefore why should he get one?

Why are the cat loving fraternity so bloody thick?

And why are you so offensive?? I am not particularly a cat lover
.............. but the best remedy is 'get a cat' despite the idiot's
comments above

Now watch the feathers fly AGAIN !!!!!! :-))

Fouling By Cats careen Lawns 8 17-12-2013 04:40 PM
Cats fouling in grass Blairadamwitch Lawns 7 16-07-2010 11:13 AM
Any chemical for lawn to discourage pets from shitting on it? [email protected] Gardening 9 09-06-2005 01:36 AM
What to plant on the side of house to discourage kids & their footballs!! Dave McLaughlin United Kingdom 7 04-04-2005 08:47 PM
Sears push mower fouling plugs [email protected] Lawns 7 15-07-2003 08:59 PM