Old 01-06-2003, 12:44 AM
bthache

Default Planting Hostas

Hi Group,

I have an area of my yard that I'm finally able to use for a small garden.
Problem is, it sees mostly shade, very little sun except for on little
corner of it. I would dearly love to fill it with different kinds of hostas
and ferns. My question is this: are there any plants out there that grow
strictly in shade? From what I've read, most need at least a little bit of
sunlight every day. They won't get it in this spot.
This area is right against the back of my house and is well protected from
wind and the elements too.
Any suggestions?
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario

Old 01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Jacqueline

"bthache" wrote in message ...
Hi Group,

I have an area of my yard that I'm finally able to use for a small garden.
Problem is, it sees mostly shade, very little sun except for on little
corner of it. I would dearly love to fill it with different kinds of hostas
and ferns. My question is this: are there any plants out there that grow
strictly in shade? From what I've read, most need at least a little bit of
sunlight every day. They won't get it in this spot.
This area is right against the back of my house and is well protected from
wind and the elements too.
Any suggestions?

There are actually quite a few plants that will do well in all shade.
Among my favorites a Bleeding heart, Astilbe, Columbine,
Pulmonaria, all the ferns (Japanese is a GREAT one), Lilly of the
Valley, Bishop's Hat. Happy Gardening!!
Old 02-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Celia 2324

I am up in Canada and my Hostas thrive fantastic under my window facing north.
I also have some hostas facing south which have taken over the garden.

Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Laura

Hi. I am new to the group but have been reading the posting for a few
weeks. And, I love to garden. I have moon lillies in an area that gets
essentially no sun except for some ocassional late afternoon sun.
They flourish there and are concealed by the house and a deck. They
re-seed themselves each year and do very well with little effort on my
part. I live in Pennsylvania where we do have a mix of harsh winters
and very hot summers. They still seem to thrive for me. Hope this
helps.
Laura

Old 03-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Beecrofter

"bthache" wrote in message ...
Hi Group,

I have an area of my yard that I'm finally able to use for a small garden.
Problem is, it sees mostly shade, very little sun except for on little
corner of it. I would dearly love to fill it with different kinds of hostas
and ferns. My question is this: are there any plants out there that grow
strictly in shade? From what I've read, most need at least a little bit of
sunlight every day. They won't get it in this spot.
This area is right against the back of my house and is well protected from
wind and the elements too.
Any suggestions?

If you can read a newspaper without eyestrain in your shade it will do
as a shade garden.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Susiemw

An excellent resource is:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

They have one forum specifically for shade and another for "difficult areas".
You'll love this site!

Susan

[IMG] code is On

Planting out hostas Little Weed United Kingdom 7 31-08-2006 06:03 PM
planting Hostas Romy Beeck Gardening 2 12-07-2005 07:04 PM
Hostas Kim Bewick United Kingdom 16 13-04-2003 05:56 PM
Hostas in pots Peter James United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 11:44 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM