Old 10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Kim Bewick

Default Hostas

Hi Everyone
This is my first posting to the group and please forgive me if I appear a
little thick.
Last summer we planted a Hosta in our garden, which has full sun on it all
day long, in soil that is fairly heavy and has a lot of clay content (not
sure if this is relevant but thouight I'd tell you anyway :-)
It survived the summer quite well, but by October had died back until by
Christmas there was nothing to show where it had been (or at least I didn't
think so).
Having been out in the garden this week as the weather has been so warm I
was amazed to count 17 i2 inch high shoots coming up where this Hosta had
once stood. My question is "What should I/could I do with them.
Regards
Kim
(Cardiff, Wales, UK)

Old 10-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Kim Bewick
writes
Hi Everyone
This is my first posting to the group and please forgive me if I appear a
little thick.
Last summer we planted a Hosta in our garden, which has full sun on it all
day long, in soil that is fairly heavy and has a lot of clay content (not
sure if this is relevant but thouight I'd tell you anyway :-)
It survived the summer quite well, but by October had died back until by
Christmas there was nothing to show where it had been (or at least I didn't
think so).

That's exactly what should have happened. They die down over winter.

Having been out in the garden this week as the weather has been so warm I
was amazed to count 17 i2 inch high shoots coming up where this Hosta had
once stood. My question is "What should I/could I do with them.

That's the new shoots of your hosta growing up from the roots. Protect
them from slugs, and your hosta will be back in all its glory soon.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-04-2003, 07:32 PM

"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
Hi Everyone
This is my first posting to the group and please forgive me if I appear a
little thick.
Last summer we planted a Hosta in our garden, which has full sun on it all
day long, in soil that is fairly heavy and has a lot of clay content (not
sure if this is relevant but thouight I'd tell you anyway :-)
It survived the summer quite well, but by October had died back until by
Christmas there was nothing to show where it had been (or at least I

didn't
think so).
Having been out in the garden this week as the weather has been so warm I
was amazed to count 17 i2 inch high shoots coming up where this Hosta had
once stood. My question is "What should I/could I do with them.

Keep the slugs away.

Colin Bignell

Old 10-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Adam Davis

Aren't they lovely when they first start to appear!

The first time that mine appeared after the winter I was well impressed and
I do love the deep purple colour that (most of them) have.

Mind the slugs, as others have mentioned, and enjoy your Hosta :-)

Adam

Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:44:32 +0100, "Kim Bewick"
wrote:

Last summer we planted a Hosta in our garden, which has full sun on it all
day long, in soil that is fairly heavy and has a lot of clay content (not
sure if this is relevant but thouight I'd tell you anyway :-)
It survived the summer quite well,

"Quite well?" That doesn't sound too enthusiastic.

Hostas usually like a bit of shade from the sun and certainly like
being kept damp. This may be to some extent species dependent. I
suspect that sunshine may be needed to accentuate the variegation
(patches of different colour in the leaf) of the voluptuous American
cultivars (which depend to a great extent on such variegation for
their interest), but my comments I think are true with regards Hostas
in general.

If you moved the plant to a more shady area, next year maybe you
will be prompted to remark they did "stupendously well" last year.

Alternatively, as they are a plant which can be divided, when it
reaches the size when you can divide it, you could plant a division in
a shady area and compare.

What do others think?

Hussein

May you live an interesting life.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:08 PM
shazzbat

"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
[...]

We dig up ours as they die off in autumn, divide if necessary and put the
root balls (all that is there by this time) in pots for the winter. If we
don't do this the slugs trash them as they attempt to come through in
spring. We keep them in pots until at least 6" tall, to give a head start
away from the slugs.

HTH

Shazzbat.

Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Hussein M." wrote in message
[...]

Hussein,

Mine are all in large pots along the front of the house, which is
south-facing and get the sun all day. They do extremely well. I
prefer them in pots. They look wonderful and set the pots off
beautifully.

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Bazza

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:44:32 +0100, "Kim Bewick"
wibbled:

Having been out in the garden this week as the weather has been so warm I
was amazed to count 17 i2 inch high shoots coming up where this Hosta had
once stood. My question is "What should I/could I do with them.

Congratulations. This is my second year gardening and I've been
looking forward for ages to seeing the new shoots emerge from the
Hostas I planted last year. I've even got a nice pot ready to take a
divison from one as soon as there's sign of multiple shoots. Sadly
nothing yet. I think I'd better have a root around where they're
planted to make sure there's something down there.

Barry Smith bazzas at btinternet.com
'It's not easy ... building Xanadu in the backstreets of Weatherfield.'

Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:22:49 +0200, "Barry & Iris McCanna"
wrote:

Alternatively, as they are a plant which can be divided, when it
reaches the size when you can divide it, you could plant a division

in
a shady area and compare.

What do others think?

Hussein

Mine are all in large pots along the front of the house, which is
south-facing and get the sun all day. They do extremely well. I
prefer them in pots. They look wonderful and set the pots off
beautifully.

It's just that the original post, the one to which I was replying,
didn't show the same unbounded enthusiasm for the progress of their
Hostas as you have just expressed for yours.

It seems that your hostas are very lovingly cared for and watered when
needed. The pots are, after all in the front of the house.

P.S.
I see the Hostas are complimenting your pots rather than the other
way around grin.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Kim Bewick

Hi again Everyone
Thank you for all your suggestions and comments.
Hussein was right to pick up on my lack of enthusiasm for the Hostas'
performance last year. I thought it could have done much better than it did.
Now I have some good ideas, hopefully I will be overwhelmed by this years
showing.
Thanks again
Kim

Old 12-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:54:09 +0000 (UTC), Bazza
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:44:32 +0100, "Kim Bewick"
wibbled:

Having been out in the garden this week as the weather has been so warm I
was amazed to count 17 i2 inch high shoots coming up where this Hosta had
once stood. My question is "What should I/could I do with them.

Congratulations. This is my second year gardening and I've been
looking forward for ages to seeing the new shoots emerge from the
Hostas I planted last year. I've even got a nice pot ready to take a
divison from one as soon as there's sign of multiple shoots. Sadly
nothing yet. I think I'd better have a root around where they're
planted to make sure there's something down there.

My Hostas aren't showing yet (under a N. wall in E. Anglia).

If you really have to root around, be careful not to damage the new
shoots. Some call it "Finger blight" (caused by nowt more than
impatient curiosity). Gardening should wean you away from the 'Now,
now, now' mentality.

Hope you enjoy them when they arrive - as I am sure they will.

Huss

"For of all gainful professions, nothing
is better, nothing more pleasing,
nothing more delightful, nothing better
becomes a well-bred man than
agriculture"

$$$$$$ Cicero $$$$$$

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, just a slip :-) Of course, I meant it the other way round!
The pots set the hostas off beautifully, but we do have some great
pots ;-)

Iris.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Robert

Mine are all in large pots along the front of the house, which is
south-facing and get the sun all day. They do extremely well. I
prefer them in pots. They look wonderful and set the pots off
beautifully.

We abandoned the fight against slugs a few years ago and moved our
hostas to 20"+ pots. The result has been wonderful displays for the
last two years.
--
Robert

What is eating my Hostas? Mark Dunn North Carolina 7 06-08-2003 02:30 PM
Planting Hostas bthache Gardening 6 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hostas in the pond Gilbert United Kingdom 5 13-05-2003 12:08 PM
Hostas in pots Peter James United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 11:44 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM