Old 12-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Romy Beeck

Default planting Hostas

I have a chance to pick up a bunch of hostas (cut offs) The guy is selling
his house and said i could cut a few off in the nexy few weeks.It is a bad
time to plant anything at this time of year becouse its hot out. By the way
i'm in wisconsin and its about 80 degrees. I went to home depo and picked up
some top soil, manure and poting soil. I like to mix these together hoping
it will help the hostas take hold easier. I heard it is not good to use the
manure. Is that true? If anyone can help me with any ideas in planting these
hostas it would make me happy. By the way hostas are my favorite flowers.
thank you for any help anyone can give me.

Romy

Old 12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Travis

Romy Beeck wrote:
I have a chance to pick up a bunch of hostas (cut offs) The guy is
selling his house and said i could cut a few off in the nexy few
weeks.It is a bad time to plant anything at this time of year
becouse its hot out. By the way i'm in wisconsin and its about 80
degrees. I went to home depo and picked up some top soil, manure
and poting soil. I like to mix these together hoping it will help
the hostas take hold easier. I heard it is not good to use the
manure. Is that true? If anyone can help me with any ideas in
planting these hostas it would make me happy. By the way hostas are
my favorite flowers. thank you for any help anyone can give me.

Composted manure is OK.

Hostas like partial to full shade.

Keep them well watered until fall.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Vox Humana

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message
I have a chance to pick up a bunch of hostas (cut offs) The guy is selling
his house and said i could cut a few off in the nexy few weeks.It is a bad
time to plant anything at this time of year becouse its hot out. By the

way
i'm in wisconsin and its about 80 degrees. I went to home depo and picked

up
some top soil, manure and poting soil. I like to mix these together hoping
it will help the hostas take hold easier. I heard it is not good to use

the
manure. Is that true? If anyone can help me with any ideas in planting

these
hostas it would make me happy. By the way hostas are my favorite flowers.
thank you for any help anyone can give me.

I'm not familiar with the term "cut offs" in relation to plants. Hostas can
be "dug up" and transplanted. They can be divided after they are dug. You
can't simply cut them off and plant the leaves and I see no point in cutting
off the leaves and planting the crowns.

I would prep the new bed by digging down 18 inches or more and amending the
soil with organic matter. I like to use compost and composted manure. Top
soil could be anything they want to put in a bag and potting soil is usually
expensive. You might thrown in a handful of super phosphate.

Your hosta will no doubt survive. Keep them evenly moist and if necessary,
create some shade while they acclimate. I have planted bare root hostas
obtained at clearance sales this time of year. Don't look for them to be
beautiful this year, but next year they will return better than ever.

[IMG] code is On

Planting out hostas Little Weed United Kingdom 7 31-08-2006 06:03 PM
Planting Hostas bthache Gardening 6 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hostas Kim Bewick United Kingdom 16 13-04-2003 05:56 PM
Hostas in pots Peter James United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 11:44 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM