Old 13-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Bill Ranseen

Default Trouble starting new Husqvarna 350 chainsaw

In article m, john
james wrote:

I know that husqvarna is supposed to be a good moachine.
But their functionality sucks. Nothing is labeld at all and they are
very hard to start. I will go with another brand for now on and do
everything in my power to discourage others from using any of their
products. Their web site is of little or no use.

Personally, all I've ever had is Husqvarnas and I've been well
satisfied. I've also always bought from a local guy who's a good
mechanic. That way, if I've got a problem it's his problem. If yours is
new it oughtta be under warranty and you should be able to get it
serviced free. Didn't you get an instruction manual with the saw? I
thought they all came with one.
Old 30-09-2003, 02:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris A. Epler
I picked up a new Husqvarna 340 over the weekend and have been unable
to start it, I returned it and picked up a 350 thinking the 340 I had
may have had a problem but I'm still having problems on the 350 as
well.

Has anyone had problems with their first start on these chainsaws?
I've tried almost everything I can think of (I'll try carb cleaner and
starting fluid tomorrow) to no avail. Choke engaged, checked plug
gap, checked for spark, pulled the plug and let it sit for a couple
hours to try to dry out cylinder if flooded, tried w/o choke, w/choke,
with throttle, decompression valve open/closed...just about every
combination I can think of. The fuel is new 87 octane mixed with 2
cycle oil in the appropriate amount.

Any ideas? I think the starter fluid after a carb clean are my last
chances at getting it started and maybe a new plug in case I'm not
getting a GOOD spark..

Very frustrating, and VERY tiring yanking on that start cord for 3
days...uhgh!
Old 30-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by David Burtle
Hello Chris this is Dave in Virginia who also bought a Husqvarna 350 and had the same trouble.
I purchased the chainsaw to cut up trees which came down with ISABEL.

After spending the weekend pulling on the cord I called Husqvarner technical suppurt at 800-448-7543.
The guy was quite helpful and advised:
When you first pull on the cord have the choke out and the decompression in.
At the first sign of a pop or firing push choke in but DO NOT touch the throttle as this will take the saw out of fast idle.
He said the saw is touchy to start as it runs so lean to comply with California anti emission regulations.
I did this and it started fine tonight.
Of course I also fitted a Champion EZ start plug type 5843 which is listed by Champion as an option for this saw.
When I have run it at bit I will put the NGK plug back in and see if it's still ok.

Best regards
Dave
(ex Limey from Southend-on-sea years ago)
Old 30-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Roy

If its a new saw there is no need to clean the carb with carb cleaner.
Actually using carb cleaner, and especially starting fluid is one fast
way to ruin a 2 cycle engine, as they both will readily make a gas
engine fire off if it lacks fuel source, but they do not contain any
form of lube which will kill a 2 stroke engine pretty quickly. Lube is
the 2 cycle engines lifeline, and a lack of it will lead to its death.

Have you actually followed the instructions in the manual to the
letter?

I have a few Husky saws, and no matter how long they set will always
fire off within 3 pulls at max.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:21:18 GMT, David Burtle
wrote:

x-Chris A. Epler wrote:
x- *I picked up a new Husqvarna 340 over the weekend and have been
x- unable
x- to start it, I returned it and picked up a 350 thinking the 340 I
x- had
x- may have had a problem but I'm still having problems on the 350 as
x- well.
x-
x- Has anyone had problems with their first start on these chainsaws?
x- I've tried almost everything I can think of (I'll try carb cleaner
x- and
x- starting fluid tomorrow) to no avail. Choke engaged, checked plug
x- gap, checked for spark, pulled the plug and let it sit for a couple
x- hours to try to dry out cylinder if flooded, tried w/o choke,
x- w/choke,
x- with throttle, decompression valve open/closed...just about every
x- combination I can think of. The fuel is new 87 octane mixed with 2
x- cycle oil in the appropriate amount.
x-
x- Any ideas? I think the starter fluid after a carb clean are my last
x- chances at getting it started and maybe a new plug in case I'm not
x- getting a GOOD spark..
x-
x- Very frustrating, and VERY tiring yanking on that start cord for 3
x- days...uhgh! *

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address